Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
StoneFrog

Re: Wilderness Overhaul

Post by StoneFrog »

Wow. I just wanted to say, wow! This is really promising and the kind of thing I have always wanted in this game.
The Joy we most revere, we profane in taking.

Ex-Bethsoft member/DaggerXL modder. Also active on Doomworld.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I love this community. Can't wait to see you back when things in life slow down for you. Thank you for the already free amazing work and mod.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:18 pm I love this community. Can't wait to see you back when things in life slow down for you. Thank you for the already free amazing work and mod.
Thank you!
Yes, I am pretty sure that I'll be back and a lot more active in winter. Right now living in the tropics without AC takes it's toll on me. Can't spend too much time at my computer or else I will melt like a popsicle.
In Julianos we Trust.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

well, youve got a bunch of fans on this site, so thats something.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Indeed, I really hope it gets colder at your place 😂 this mod looks so awesome

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:10 pm Indeed, I really hope it gets colder at your place 😂 this mod looks so awesome
Haha, well we are still at 28°C here :D (Damn those tropics!)
Doing my last water fall hikes and beach visits of the year these days before pollution and winter sets in in Taiwan and we finally get our 2 "cold" months.
But worry not, I keep a constant eye onto this page and have not forgotten this mod. I was just busy learning GoLang, Kubernets and turned into a total Valheim sucker. Soon I finish the 5th boss and can finally remove this unholy game from my HDD.
In Julianos we Trust.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

...so turns out, the version I've built doesn't work on 0.13. so great.
On it's own, the mod seems to work fine, but it breaks LevelUPAdjuster (the "canary mod", witch means it also probably breaks other stuff).

Typically, this would be fixed by enabling the "Precompiled (experimental)" setting, when building the mod.

I, with the help of Kab the Bird Ranger, tried to get that to work, but to no avail.

The compiler would complain about TileTexArrUniforms and KeyWords (from MaterialReader.cs) not being accessible, due to them being internal, but even after addressing that, the game just wouldn't spawn any trees, bushes... for some reason:
Spoiler!
2021_11_18_19_20_56.jpg
2021_11_18_19_20_56.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Therefore, I ask you to fix your mod ;)
It would be a shame to let this great mod be incompatible with 0.13
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Shapur wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:41 pm ...so turns out, the version I've built doesn't work on 0.13. so great.
On it's own, the mod seems to work fine, but it breaks LevelUPAdjuster (the "canary mod", witch means it also probably breaks other stuff).

Typically, this would be fixed by enabling the "Precompiled (experimental)" setting, when building the mod.

I, with the help of Kab the Bird Ranger, tried to get that to work, but to no avail.

The compiler would complain about TileTexArrUniforms and KeyWords (from MaterialReader.cs) not being accessible, due to them being internal, but even after addressing that, the game just wouldn't spawn any trees, bushes... for some reason:
Spoiler!
2021_11_18_19_20_56.jpg

Therefore, I ask you to fix your mod ;)
It would be a shame to let this great mod be incompatible with 0.13
Thanks for the feedback!

I used the TileTexArray to store my own terxture set, as there are many texture transitions for the terrain that don't exist in the original game, so I conjured some new ones up in Photoshop. The error speaking about accessibility, sounds to me like something in the core game changed towards restricting modding access for certain classes. I hope this is not the case, as otherwise a minimum of 100h of work spent with the terrain will be lost in vain.

Don't worry about there not being any trees in Desert, Swamp, Mountains, etc. I commented that part of the code out to only focus on Temperate Climates forests.

After all, deserts gonna be deserts :D Not many trees in the deep desert, only sand as far as the eye can see. But if you find a spot of water, you will see oasis and lush greenery around it :) Just have to find these spots, they are rare. I wrote a function that paints an oasis here and there into the terrain but this might now be broken as its part of the TerrainTexturing which you mentioned seems to be broken T_T.

To test this: Open the WOTerrainTexturing.cs, insert a new Line between Lines 426 and 427 where you add Debug.Log("Oasis was created!");
It should be inserted before the return statement: return (JobRand.Next(0, 100) <= newChance);.

Then when testing, to to the deep desert and check if this log comes up in the console. If it comes up, there should be an oasis somehwere in the loaded map.

BUT :!: be careful if you remove the commenting and try to use that code for other climates again, as I have heavily changed some functions and parameters given to them for tree generation and the commented part was never adjusted to this over a long period of time.
You can use the parts for Temperate Climate as a template if you want to adjust the desert and mountain parts of the script.
Also :!: The same goes for the WOStochasticChances.cs: This script holds the spawn chances for certain tiles in the different Biomes. Have a look there if the spawn chances for trees in the desert are too low compared to the chances for temperate climate.

If and how many trees will spawn in a cliomate depends on their spawn chance (WOStochasticChances) and on the conditions in (WOTerrainNature)

Look into WOTerrainNature.cs
There you will finde HUUUUGE parts of the whole script being commented out. These parts are other climate zones that I put aside for the time being. Starting at Line 281 is the temperate climate condition in which the code decides what to spawn when and where (mostly stochastics and pseudo-randomness).
That code block is split in 3 different tile types --> if (tile = 1) // Dirt, etc.
There the code decides what plants and how many are spawned on dirt tiles, stone tiles and grass tiles for Temperate Biome.

Below that code block at Line 464 the Mountain biome starts in the very same structure as Temperate, after that comes Djungle I think etc. I put comments there so you know which climate it takes care of. Feel free to uncomment these blocks and adjust to similar chances and layout as the Temperate code block, then go Ingame and test the hell out of it to see what noise parameters look good for forests in mountains, what kind of trees should be grouped together, how many flowers can you spawn without getting lags or reaching the batchSize maximum error, etc.
It's HELL of a lot of testing to find stochastical values that mostly create landscapes performant enough and realistic looking.

If you have questions concerning the code you can ask me anytime. I am happy if I can motivate you to help me work on the project and will help whenever I can :)

I will have to download 0.13 and study the change log to see what might cause this. I still run the older version of DFU, as I haven't touched the project for quite some months now. But this long absence is also the very reason why I made my Github open source without any licensing, so the community might pick up where I stopped and continue my work. I kind of already set the basics of how I create different forests from different tree species according to different heights, etc.

Currently I am pouring a lot of thought ant time into my RTS game. I am struggling with a good task system for my Units and their interaction.
From calculating their distance to each work task in a performant way to managing their AI interacting with enemies and each other - It's a pain. Once I get fed up with it, I will resume work here at the mod again to get some break from my own Game project.
In Julianos we Trust.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

I reached out to IK, and asked him to change those "internal" constants to "public". The mod should work on the next release, which I assume is going to be 0.13.3

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm I reached out to IK, and asked him to change those "internal" constants to "public". The mod should work on the next release, which I assume is going to be 0.13.3
Thanks mate! :)
In Julianos we Trust.