[MOD] Critical Hits

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
reaven

[MOD] Critical Hits

Post by reaven »

Description
This is a simple mod that changes the critical hit behavior to provide bonus damage, instead of increased hit chance.

You can configure it in the settings to a degree: The likelihood of landing a critical hit (for the player and foes), which of course takes your critical strike skill in consideration, and the damage applied, which also scales with the critical strike skill.

You probably have seen this feature included in other mods, such as Physical Combat Overhaul or Ironman, but these are big mods that might affect other stuff you're not looking for. Plus I like the idea of being able to fine tune the settings to each players liking, so this is what the mod does.

If you're curious check out the github page or the nexus for moreinfo and a download.

Updated
Added optional message when landing a critical hit.
Fix compatibility with current DFUnity release.
Fix extremely high damage with high critical strike skill.
Added customisable enemy critical strike damage multiplier.

Links
https://github.com/Julioevm/dfunity-cri ... /tree/main
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/173

Tecnical information
You can configure in the settings the criticalHitDivider (both for player and enemy) and the baseCritDamage, the formulas are as follows:

The chance to trigger a critical strike is (Critical Strike Skill / criticalHitDivider) + (Luck / 10).
E.g. With 50 Critical Strike and 50 Luck, and a CriticalHitDivider value of 4 you have: 17 % chance of landing a critical strike.

The additional damage dealt is Critical Strike Skill / 25 * baseCritDamage, if the skill is 98 or higher, a flat 30 damage is added instead.
E.g. with 52 in critical strike skill points and a critical base damage of 6 you would deal 12 extra damage on critical hits, on top of the regular damage of the attack.

A successful roll for critical strike, will add some extra chance to hit, to mitigate missing a critical strike somewhat. This is simply the critical strike skill level / 4.
Compatibility
The mod overrides the CalculateAttackDamage so any other mod that uses it will be incompatible.
Last edited by reaven on Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daggerdude

Re: [MOD] Critical Hits

Post by daggerdude »

You know i'm surprised this isn't actually part of the game as a fix. i mean clearly they goofed because arena and morrowind had criticals. Would be nice if this was a toggle option for unity, but i'll settle with a mod for now. thanks!

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

This is super handy. I've only recently started playing Daggerfall and had no idea how Critical Hit worked. I've been throwing loads of points into the skill and couldn't understand that it wasn't working the way I expected. Thanks for saving my sanity!

EDIT: Grammar.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

daggerdude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm You know i'm surprised this isn't actually part of the game as a fix. i mean clearly they goofed because arena and morrowind had criticals. Would be nice if this was a toggle option for unity, but i'll settle with a mod for now. thanks!
One of the difficulties here is that, if enemies had a random damage multiplier, they'd be able to apply it any time (and more so for high-level enemies). People already complain about how hard DF enemies hit; now imagine if that Assassin or Nightblade could do 3x its damage in a single hit :lol: Enemies use all the same skills as player characters, so it'd forcibly help them too.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:37 am
daggerdude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm You know i'm surprised this isn't actually part of the game as a fix. i mean clearly they goofed because arena and morrowind had criticals. Would be nice if this was a toggle option for unity, but i'll settle with a mod for now. thanks!
One of the difficulties here is that, if enemies had a random damage multiplier, they'd be able to apply it any time (and more so for high-level enemies). People already complain about how hard DF enemies hit; now imagine if that Assassin or Nightblade could do 3x its damage in a single hit :lol: Enemies use all the same skills as player characters, so it'd forcibly help them too.
That's true, but I think it's a risk vs reward assessment we see in all the other elder scrolls games (excluding arena because critical are tied to class so only applies to human enemies) that usually pans out in the player's favor, especially since combat is not done toe to toe and is the players responsibility to weave immand out and time attacks. Moreover, it's clearly a design or coding flaw, not working as intended, as many, many things are in daggerfall.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

I thought this was already changed in DFU, maybe im thinking of another mod

reaven

Post by reaven »

Hey all, I've updated the mod to make it compatible with the latest DF Unity release.
IT also has some fixes and additions.

CypherNovazi

Post by CypherNovazi »

Thanks mate! Gonna try this tonight and report back - I had no idea the OG critical system was so silly!