I think a lot of you will agree that the original Daggerfall automap can be a bit messy at times- so I decided to work on a project that improves it's usability and greatly reduces the time you aimlessly run around dungeons just to find that one pile of Lich Dust.
My idea was to change how Automap worked so that it both reduces clutter and hints you where you're supposed to go.
I named the mod AutomapEx, which is.. super original.
The following has been implemented so far:
- Internal mapping of the whole dungeon by "ray flooding" basically.
- Pathfinding (A*) to be able to highlight important paths.
- Transparency based on importance:
- Explored locations with no further value is almost completely faded. This will eventually extend to the whole branch as you keep exploring the dungeon.
- Undiscovered locations are invisible (as they are right now).
- Paths leading to the quest marker or other important locations are mainly opaque.
- Paths leading to undiscovered (but unimportant) locations are semi-transparent.
The mod is not far away from being done, but there is a lot of work left to get the map to look and feel the way I want it. And then there is a bit of bug fixing to do.
I'm not going to release it *just* yet, but I'm interested to hear if there is any interest for this kind of mod, and maybe check if you guys have any cool ideas that you would like to see.
Here are some images. Please note that it's work in progress!