(MOD) AutomapEx [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
_brain

(MOD) AutomapEx [WIP]

Post by _brain »

Hello there!

I think a lot of you will agree that the original Daggerfall automap can be a bit messy at times- so I decided to work on a project that improves it's usability and greatly reduces the time you aimlessly run around dungeons just to find that one pile of Lich Dust.

My idea was to change how Automap worked so that it both reduces clutter and hints you where you're supposed to go.
I named the mod AutomapEx, which is.. super original.

The following has been implemented so far:
  • Internal mapping of the whole dungeon by "ray flooding" basically.
  • Pathfinding (A*) to be able to highlight important paths.
  • Transparency based on importance:
    • Explored locations with no further value is almost completely faded. This will eventually extend to the whole branch as you keep exploring the dungeon.
    • Undiscovered locations are invisible (as they are right now).
    • Paths leading to the quest marker or other important locations are mainly opaque.
    • Paths leading to undiscovered (but unimportant) locations are semi-transparent.
To be clear. The mod doesn't explore the dungeon for you, but it does give you strong indications where you're supposed to go. If you're just following the automap you will eventually explore everything. =)

The mod is not far away from being done, but there is a lot of work left to get the map to look and feel the way I want it. And then there is a bit of bug fixing to do.

I'm not going to release it *just* yet, but I'm interested to hear if there is any interest for this kind of mod, and maybe check if you guys have any cool ideas that you would like to see.

Here are some images. Please note that it's work in progress!
https://imgur.com/a/ufrh89W

King of Worms

Re: (MOD) AutomapEx [WIP]

Post by King of Worms »

Looks very interesting, helpful automap like this might be a great thing for ppl who think daggerfall dungs are too confusing (aka 80% of people😂)

mushr00m3717

Post by mushr00m3717 »

Would it be possible to somehow hide, hidden doors from the automap until they are open. Something that always annoyed me is that it was it was always possible to find them, (usually the only way they was found) was to check the automap. This combined with Drafty Secret Doors could be pretty cool for more hardcore players.

_brain

Post by _brain »

Update:
  • Put in more work on making the map more readable. Not completely happy with how messy it gets when you're on a lower level, but I feel I'm getting there.
  • Pathfinding was improved, but can be better.
  • New shader to make it pretty.
  • Support for manually setting "important" paths by means of user markers.
Here's a bit of a teaser =)
https://imgur.com/a/GEvkmHB

mushr00m3717 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:48 am Would it be possible to somehow hide, hidden doors from the automap until they are open. Something that always annoyed me is that it was it was always possible to find them, (usually the only way they was found) was to check the automap. This combined with Drafty Secret Doors could be pretty cool for more hardcore players.
AutomapEx is using existing Automap models, I'm not even sure it even has doors rendered. Even if the doors would be rendered properly, the entrance would still be visible because it would probably part of the side you had already explored. Still, could be possible with some shader magic. Gonna have to take a look.

_brain

Post by _brain »

Here is a first test version for those who want to try it out.
Attachments
AutomapEx.zip
(214.44 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Cool, I definitely gonna use this as a standard! Always thought the dungeons have to be adjusted for better gameplay, but actually the automap feature was the place to craft on :)

I was always wondering if Dungeon Exits could be placed into the highest point of a dungeon, when on the world map, the entrance is just a small hill. It kills immersion when entering the small hill and inside the dungeon, climbing up 10 floors. XD
In Julianos we Trust.