[MOD] Skulduggery - A Thief Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Skulduggery - A Thief Overhaul

Post by Ralzar »

Skulduggery

This mod rebalances thief skills, adds and tweaks some of the thief-related mechanics and adds a new item shop in the thief guild.

Current version: 1.0.0
Required DFU version: 0.11.5

Nexus download

This is the current roadmap. Implemented features are colored green. Planned but not yet implemented features are colored red.

Thief Items
- Add a shop function to the thieves guild fence NPC so he both buys and sells items.
- Add items that buff thief skills when equipped in jewellery slots

Lockpick
- Remove level scaling. Chance is based on skill, Agility, Intelligence and Luck.
- Ability to pick magic locks at high level.
- Possible to make more than one lockpick attempt on a door.

Pickpocket
- Remove level scaling. Chance based on skill, Agility, Speed and Luck.
- More and better rewards for pickpocket.

Stealth
- Remove level scaling. Chance based on skill, Agility and Luck.
- You only train Stealth while in sneak mode.
- Crouching while sneaking increases sneak chance further.
- Armor affects Stealth check.
- Mastery halves penalties.

Breaking and Entering
- Moving inside a locked house at night causes Stealth checks.
- Failed Stealth checks causes text indicating you are about to be discovered or guards arriving.
- Taking items from containers requires a pickpocket check, difficulty based on item weight.
- Houses have chances of better loot based on building quality and Luck.
- Guild buildings have thematic loot to steal.
- Banks and Palaces have guards at night.

City Guards and the Law
- Possible to bribe guards before the arrest prompt.
- Crimes are cumulative.
- Debate/Lie options in court should include Intelligence (Debate), Personality(Lie), Luck and your Legal Reputation.
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Asesino

Re: Thief Overhaul

Post by Asesino »

I added this mod, and it is working great; I really am enjoying the new stealthy way of life :)

Could you add to this mod penalties for bashing the door in dungeons (maybe a 20% chance of enemy spawn because you caused so much racket). Right now, I can safely bash every door in the dungeon without alerting anyone other than those in the room. The penalties will give me extra incentive to quietly pick the locks rather than smash my way in.

Great Job as always!
a

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Keeping an eye on this thread, the game needs a much needed thievery overhaul and your changes sound very nice.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Nice! Finally using thieve skills feels actually meaningful and good! I can see DF getting into a second renaissance :)
In Julianos we Trust.

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

Definitely will throw this in my list and give it a spin. I'll gladly send some feedback your way.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Sounds great and is much needed.

Besides the list written here, how would i see the changes in comparison to the vanilla system?

On uesp?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

You mean what the vanilla rules are? Yeah, you'll see that on the UESP.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

im wondering how stealth checks have changed. The uesp says it takes the stealth skill of you and the enemy as well as movement speed and distance from the enemy.

This just takes into consideration your stealth skill and your agility and luck attributes?

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

This is amazing. I always felt like the Thief Skills weren't properly utilized in the vanilla game. I'm defintiely gonna give this a try when I get back into Daggerfall.

I think something else that could also help make thief skills more meaningful would be to rewrite the Thieves Guild quests to actually encourage stuff like breaking and entering and lockpicking. Something I noticed is that there is only ONE quest in the entire Thieves Guild questlist that actually rewards you for breaking and entering (Antique Ivory, in which the number of guards you encounter at the house is lower if you go during the night). In every other TG quest it's always preferrable to just wait until the day and freely walk into your target location than it is to break in at night, which IMO makes the thief skills pretty meaningless.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm This is amazing. I always felt like the Thief Skills weren't properly utilized in the vanilla game. I'm defintiely gonna give this a try when I get back into Daggerfall.

I think something else that could also help make thief skills more meaningful would be to rewrite the Thieves Guild quests to actually encourage stuff like breaking and entering and lockpicking. Something I noticed is that there is only ONE quest in the entire Thieves Guild questlist that actually rewards you for breaking and entering (Antique Ivory, in which the number of guards you encounter at the house is lower if you go during the night). In every other TG quest it's always preferrable to just wait until the day and freely walk into your target location than it is to break in at night, which IMO makes the thief skills pretty meaningless.
In original DFU making quest that depend on breaking in are tough, as you can try only one time. I think that's why you can just wait untiö it's day. As far as I know, some8ne already works on a mod for these kind of quests.
In Julianos we Trust.