[MOD] Remastered Friends and Foes

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
carademono

Re: [MOD] Remastered Villagers

Post by carademono »

Making an effort to improve what has always been one of Daggerfall's most embarrassing sprites, the nymph.

NSFW:
Spoiler!

carademono

Post by carademono »

Vampires are looking suitably terrifying:
Spoiler!

Remastered Monsters is done, dfmodded, and ready for release. But I still have some work to do on Remastered Classes and v1.5 of Remastered Villagers. I'll hold off for a few days while I wrap those up and release all three sprite mods together.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

It looks great! I especially like the enemies. The vampires look terrifying and I love the orc's face. Somehow, seeing his nostrils brings another layer to him. :)

carademono

Post by carademono »

Thanks for the kind words, Cliffworms! Remastered Classes is coming along really nicely... I can feel my skills increasing :lol:
Spoiler!

I'm thinking I'll release these in a staggered fashion after all. First, Remastered Villagers v1.5, which makes massive improvements over v1.0 up over on the Nexus, then Remastered Classes, and finally Remastered Monsters, which I've decided needs more retouching.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Taking advantage of Remastered Classes to fix one of my biggest Daggerfall pet peeves: the lack of Redguard adventurers.
Spoiler!

carademono

Post by carademono »

New release!

A ton of work went into these and in my opinion the new villagers completely transform the experience of wandering around Daggerfall's towns and cities. Version 1.5 is quite polished. Please give it a download and let me know what you think of it here. There's a lot more to come: I'm wrapping up Remastered Classes and Remastered Monsters in the next few weeks. This will be followed by Expanded Villagers (which will increase the number of Daggerfall's villagers from 24 to around 200), and Expanded Classes (which will increase the number of combat NPCs from 15 to 75).

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/190

Changelog
v1.5: Major improvements in all sprites, particularly while walking towards the player. Sprites are no longer mipmapped (oops!), so NPCs appear smooth in the distance. Added remastered guards, complete with faces that scowl in conversation with you, while walking towards you, or while swinging an axe at you.

Note: Do you have artistic skills and would like to touch these up further or even make your own alternative version? Send me a message and I'll be happy to send you the pngs.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

I like it alot, although that Guard face just seems so off lol

carademono

Post by carademono »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm I like it alot, although that Guard face just seems so off lol
Hmm, I guess I'll work on it some more for v1.6... I started out using Project Tamriel faces, and they looked great! But the PT team told me that, as they're based on Bethesda faces, they can't legally be transferred between games. So I switched to using mugshots, which are in the public domain :lol: I'm still learning how to blend them in stylistically.

Thanks for the feedback! It really is helpful for improving the next version.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Ok, declaring Project Mugshot a failure but I have a new, better solution. I'll try to get v1.51 up later this afternoon.

carademono

Post by carademono »

carademono wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:25 pm Ok, declaring Project Mugshot a failure but I have a new, better solution. I'll try to get v1.51 up later this afternoon.
Here's what's coming down the pike. I'm not sure why it didn't just occur to me to use upscaled Daggerfall character creation portraits for the guard and Remastered Classes... It would have saved me a lot of trouble.
Spoiler!