Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Jay_H

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by Jay_H »

This also happens rarely in classic, though not in such a catastrophic way. It resulted in bumpy, jagged terrain for cities, meaning you could see buildings floating a few inches in the air, transparent from beneath.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Just make new handmaded city cells and landscape for them. Aren't in DF city cell contein and buildings and ground and all objects ob it?

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

If there is a way to make models adjust depending on the terrain under them, it could look pretty awesome with different elevation levels in settlements. That should probably be possible with combination of code and specially designed models. For example, houses can have porches and front stairs going underground, so there could be variety in entrance height. Or something like that.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:If there is a way to make models adjust depending on the terrain under them, it could look pretty awesome with different elevation levels in settlements. That should probably be possible with combination of code and specially designed models. For example, houses can have porches and front stairs going underground, so there could be variety in entrance height. Or something like that.
It is possible to make this, however every house model in the game have to be modified. The bottom part of the model have to be increased by 1 or maybe even 2 stories downwards and put model pivot point in the level of the main door. So, everything below that pivot point will be in the ground and if the terrain is in some angle, this will cover it. Ofc, it allso needs some stair and maybe even cellar doors.

Something like this

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking of!

Regarding replacing all models - I know there is a ton of them, literally, but we'll need to do it sooner or later. Thankfully, they are rather similar in geometry, only their shape and textures are different. So what I am thinking, we need artists, like you or Alexander, if you'll have inspiration and desire, of course, to create basic assets like walls, doorways, windows, rooftops, etc. And some instructions on how to assemble them and replace ingame models. Then people who are not modellers can take these pieces and put them together, to recreate all original models.

I think that would be the only way we can practically do it. Regarding basement doors - they are probably unnecessary, after all the idea is to have bottom part optional, it wouldn't be even seen in some circusmstances.

This whole thing is not a priority right now, though. Just something to think about when we get to the house models, sooner or later.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Those creepy dungeons pics are awesome, I would like to play like that for sure.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

username

Post by username »

Jay_H wrote:This also happens rarely in classic, though not in such a catastrophic way. It resulted in bumpy, jagged terrain for cities, meaning you could see buildings floating a few inches in the air, transparent from beneath.
I made a video showing that glitch in vanilla a while ago! :D
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

In DFU, that terrain glitch happens when the smoothing process fails on the location terrain tile. It should flatten out the city area then blend the remaining heights into surrounding tiles. Something has obviously gone wrong there where the terrain tile smoothing either did not run, or was misaligned to the actual city area.

Does this happen every time, or was it a once-off glitch that disappeared when you exited and started the game again? If it's easily reproduced, I'd love a save game for that location.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

username wrote:I made a video showing that glitch in vanilla a while ago! :D
That's the one! I know for certain that I triggered it in Wrothgarian Mountains, so it isn't just exclusive to Daggerfall City. I don't even know if that's helpful but I figured I'd mention it.

username

Post by username »

Jay_H wrote:
username wrote:I made a video showing that glitch in vanilla a while ago! :D
That's the one! I know for certain that I triggered it in Wrothgarian Mountains, so it isn't just exclusive to Daggerfall City. I don't even know if that's helpful but I figured I'd mention it.
As I said in the video description I have seen something about this on the UESP.
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.