Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
NikitaTheTanner

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Essentially my proposal is to have, like in the original game, proceduraly generated environment. For instance for exterior, to buildings be able to be generated or made up by a simple elements, or building blocks, which have textures applied to them.
Thing is that in original Daggerfall everything is already generated by Bethesda, when they were making a game, at least as far as I understand. So, while it was random generation, it's the same for everyone who starts a new game.

I do think that at one point, we might create new algorithms to generate new content, but that is far away in the development cycle. What we can focus on now, is starting to replace sprites with 3D models and textures with newer ones, thus improving the look of the game, without changing locations too much.

As we go, we might be able to come up with new ways we can improve the game, but let's start with smaller things we can change now.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:
Essentially my proposal is to have, like in the original game, proceduraly generated environment. For instance for exterior, to buildings be able to be generated or made up by a simple elements, or building blocks, which have textures applied to them.
Thing is that in original Daggerfall everything is already generated by Bethesda, when they were making a game, at least as far as I understand. So, while it was random generation, it's the same for everyone who starts a new game.

I do think that at one point, we might create new algorithms to generate new content, but that is far away in the development cycle. What we can focus on now, is starting to replace sprites with 3D models and textures with newer ones, thus improving the look of the game, without changing locations too much.

As we go, we might be able to come up with new ways we can improve the game, but let's start with smaller things we can change now.

Ouch, so if I understood you now correctly, it is impossible to implement new code with new procedural features and we are bound by the 20 year old code? hmmm...hmm that is bad?

Ok my question is, what can we do than in terms of models and their complexity?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well, Im just a mere King of Worms dwelling down in the 21yo pixelated dungeon, I cant do anything, I just observe and clap slowly to any endeavor leading up to the improvement of Daggerfall. This looks very interresting, I hope you guys can sync up and incorporate VMblasts offerings in some way, I can only wish you good luck and express my eternal support ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

VMblast wrote: Ouch, so if I understood you now correctly, it is impossible to implement new code with new procedural features and we are bound by the 20 year old code?
Not precisely true. The ability to procedurally generate new objects, structures, and villages will likely be very useful, but not yet. Daggerfall 1.0 first has to exist, and then presumably there'll be more focus on Daggerfall Tools for Unity, which I understand will be a toolkit dedicated to creating Daggerfall-likes. So yes it will be useful and new code can be generated, but the goal for now is to recreate Daggerfall itself (with minor improvements and mods on the way when possible).

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

So is this basically, a parallel "Daggerfall Unity" project?
That's what it sounds like to me.
Is it going to be hosted here?
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Yeah, technical re-implementation is very much possible, but it won't come soon, unless something changes.

But we already can start working on the basics, perhaps develop prototypes to implement procedural generation in the future. I think first we should focus on the environment details though, especially things like flora, rocks, clutter. It should be relatively easy to replace and give us a sense of what style works best.

After that is done, we might be able to start working on characters or structures, because these would require more coding to implement.
So is this basically, a parallel "Daggerfall Unity" project?
Is it going to be hosted here?
Seems to me more like a mod, with some more advanced features. Right now, nothing is in place, we are just talking about possible course of action, but if Interkarma wouldn't mind, I think it would be okay to have a separate topic for it on the forum.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ah I understand now. ;)
NikitaTheTanner wrote:Yeah, technical re-implementation is very much possible, but it won't come soon, unless something changes.

But we already can start working on the basics, perhaps develop prototypes to implement procedural generation in the future. I think first we should focus on the environment details though, especially things like flora, rocks, clutter. It should be relatively easy to replace and give us a sense of what style works best.

After that is done, we might be able to start working on characters or structures, because these would require more coding to implement.
I agree about starting with flora, that is sensible considering the status of everything else. However my list of priorities would be something like this:

1. Flora and decorative environment elements (rocks, rubble, boulders etc.).
2. FPS character weapons and actions (providing that it is possible to replace sprite FPS elements at that time).
3. Structures and dungeons (when new code implements permits it).
4. Characters (this part is last and it is most complex and time consuming).

I can start by building 3D trees and painting textures for them, as well shrubs, mushrooms, rock and boulder piles and see how it goes from there. Anw its going to take some time to build it all.

And I agree with @NikitaTheTanner, maybe it would be beneficial to open separate topic on forum so I can pile work as I go. ;)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ok Ive have bundle of tavern interior textures finished...well at least its a first pass. Maybe Ill get back later to improve some of them at least (like tavern floor).

Ill post them for here and I would like to ask someone to post them where they should be (if you have some place for all those content). Also would love to see some ingame screenshots of the taverns interior with these textures. I would appreciate that.

TAVERN INTERIOR TEXTURES:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1vHJ ... DgxR1dPbW8

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

These look very good! Looking forward to seeing this in-game with the mod capabilities already present.

Would someone be able to assist VMBlast with setting up a quick mod to swap these textures for screenshots?

VMBlast, it might also be worth getting your hands just slightly dirty in Unity - just enough so you can swap these textures in yourself for testing. :) TheLacus maintains an excellent guide here that should help you get started.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Interkarma wrote:VMBlast, it might also be worth getting your hands just slightly dirty in Unity - just enough so you can swap these textures in yourself for testing. :) TheLacus maintains an excellent guide here that should help you get started.
Yeah Ill try that. Ive downloaded Daggerfall from github and tried it in Unity. To be honest its quite confusing to me, since data and elements are all over the place and I havent been able to load interiors for instance. But Ill try. It would be helpful if someone could point me how exactly I can load tavern interior for example.