Mod Idea: Conversing with pacified enemies

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Daniel87

Mod Idea: Conversing with pacified enemies

Post by Daniel87 »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering what the communities thoughts are on the following idea for a mod and its doability with current modability of the game:

When pacifying an enemy, no matter if humanoid or creature, the play actually can converse with the enemy. After all, that's what the language skills are for, aren't they? Think of Battle Spire, where you could do that.

So if it is a creature from a dungeon, the level of the language skill will determine if the player can ask for certain informations such as quest target location, kind of enemies in this dungeon, shortest way to the exit (the pacified enemy will walk in front of you, guiding you to the exist using the shortest path) or trade loot with you, which could come in handy, when your inventory is almost full and you would like to cash out on it without leaving the dungeon. Also might be a good source for getting potions or even better, alchemy ingredients.

If the creature is out in the wilderniss, it could reveal a hidden dungeon in the range of the next 4 map Pixels on your map or follow you for a while to assist you in upcomming battles against enemys of a different species. Modders could also expand upon the lore and add purely informational dialogues such as why this creature hats all creatures from a different species.

I believe such a mod would add a whole new level of diversity, complexity and realism to the game and simply feel awesome.
Last edited by Daniel87 on Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Re: Mod Idea: Conversing with pacified enemies

Post by carademono »

I really like this idea. One could even imagine some creatures as quest givers -- could lead to a whole genre of creative and hilarious creature quests.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I generally like the idea but
Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm shortest way to the exit (the pacified enemy will walk in front of you, guiding you to the exist using the shortest path)
Considering the level of complexity of Daggerfall dungeons, I guess this would require to either make a preset path to the exit (made of multiple waypoints) for every single dungeon so that the creature could follow it, or a pretty sophisticated algorithm to calculate this path from any location in the dungeon and then guide the creature along it.
Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm it could reveal a hidden dungeon in the range of the next 4 map Pixels on your map or follow you for a while to assist you in upcomming battles against enemys of a different species
That sounds more like Command creature rather than simply pacify.

A variation on the regular NPC dialogue options would be the most logical kind of conversation, but probably would require special dialogue text for each kind of creature for this to be of any interest or value to the player.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:19 pm I generally like the idea but
Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm shortest way to the exit (the pacified enemy will walk in front of you, guiding you to the exist using the shortest path)
Considering the level of complexity of Daggerfall dungeons, I guess this would require to either make a preset path to the exit (made of multiple waypoints) for every single dungeon so that the creature could follow it, or a pretty sophisticated algorithm to calculate this path from any location in the dungeon and then guide the creature along it.
Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm it could reveal a hidden dungeon in the range of the next 4 map Pixels on your map or follow you for a while to assist you in upcomming battles against enemys of a different species
That sounds more like Command creature rather than simply pacify.

A variation on the regular NPC dialogue options would be the most logical kind of conversation, but probably would require special dialogue text for each kind of creature for this to be of any interest or value to the player.
I am a fan of complex algorithms :D
So guiding in dungeons would be an option.

Concerning the company by a pacified enemy - It just depends on your language skills and dialog options. If I was to conspire with that orc against the annoying spriggans he already hates, he most likely would join me in a fight with a spriggan. If something else attacks me, he would idly stand by and just watch us kil leach other. Maybe me and the orc even have the same way we're headed to, so we could walk together for one day (and I could further improve my orcish).
In Julianos we Trust.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Daniel87 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am I am a fan of complex algorithms :D
If you can make one for dungeon-navigating NPCs, I guess it'd be no small breakthrough in AI enhancement for DFU.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

MrFlibble wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am I am a fan of complex algorithms :D
If you can make one for dungeon-navigating NPCs, I guess it'd be no small breakthrough in AI enhancement for DFU.
Once I'm finished with my mod, I will look into it.
Also plan on improving the weather system. We need more rainbows, lightning strikes and other weather phenomenon. Volumetric clouds would also be nice.
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Love this idea. The more reasons for non-combat oriented play, the better. Right now, the skills focused on this stuff are largely under utilized in the overall game mechanics.

I was planning on trying some attempts on pathfinding ai using sphere casts and block data location. You can technically grab the position of any object in any block in the game, if you know how to parse through the objects properly to get down to the individual model objects.

So, you could use a sphere cast coming out from the center of the following npc, combine it with the pre-baked object data, and possibly get a decent pathfinding AI. Then just build in some fail safes, like in calssic bath games
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Whatever comes out of this promises to be fun :D

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Probably a simple idea to get something useful from pacified enemies (thus not so cool as the previous ideas) could be the following: they could "teleport" you to the exit of the dungeon or to the item of your quest (if still to be found). For example, you click on a pacified enemy and you get a message as follows:

"Do you want me to show you how to get out from there? (Yes/No)".

If you click Yes, you are teleported to the exit

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

andromacus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 am Probably a simple idea to get something useful from pacified enemies (thus not so cool as the previous ideas) could be the following: they could "teleport" you to the exit of the dungeon or to the item of your quest (if still to be found). For example, you click on a pacified enemy and you get a message as follows:

"Do you want me to show you how to get out from there? (Yes/No)".

If you click Yes, you are teleported to the exit
This would be a great addition.

I just had the idea that a pacified enemy would allow you to rest. Dont know if the code allows that but these kinds of additions make sense and add to roleplay/gameplay.