No Equip Delay

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Underking

No Equip Delay

Post by Underking »

Hey everyone, I'm keeping up my experimentations with the modding system starting with simple projects.

I am one of those players who were always annoyed by how long it takes for your character to switch between weapons during a fight. You know, when you try to improve your archery skills on that damn bat that you never hit and you finally decide to destroy it using your pristine mithril Daï-katana, but it takes like ten seconds for your character to actually unsheathe the weapon.

Ten long seconds that you spend running around the godamn bat knowing that you'll eventually have your revenge on it.

So I decided to simply make a mod that overrides that delay to have an experience closer to the following TES games and to avoid the frustration of not being able to try weapons you're not very good with on weak ennemies, knowing that it will take you forever to eventually switch with your favorite weapon to finish the job.

By default the equip delay is set to 0 but it can be increased to up to 10 seconds (if you don't like yourself much :? ). Here's the link:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/192/

Thanks!

Jarlyjarljarl

Re: No Equip Delay

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Good mod. There's still a long delay when switching to bows though. But that kinda makes sense to be there.

Underking

Post by Underking »

You mean you've experienced some delays when using a bow with this mod? If so this isn't normal : :D

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Underking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 am You mean you've experienced some delays when using a bow with this mod? If so this isn't normal : :D
Yeah, switching from blade to blade is instant but switching from blade to bow or bow to blade still has a delay.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Underking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 am You mean you've experienced some delays when using a bow with this mod? If so this isn't normal : :D
Yeah, switching from blade to blade is instant but switching from blade to bow or bow to blade still has a delay.
Do you mean switching hand? If you have a bow in one hand and blade in the other? Because that's a DFU added optional extra feature which this mod probably does not touch.

Underking

Post by Underking »

Well I'm gonna give the classial answer that goes like "But it works on my side" :lol: . But yeah we may not be talking about the same thing, this mod does only affect the time it takes for your character to draw a newly equipped weapon. So you should not have any delay if you have a two handed weapon equipped and then you equip a bow through your inventory for instance. I don't know of any delay when switching from one hand to another though, if there is some, this mod is not gonna remove it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Underking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 pm Well I'm gonna give the classial answer that goes like "But it works on my side" :lol: . But yeah we may not be talking about the same thing, this mod does only affect the time it takes for your character to draw a newly equipped weapon. So you should not have any delay if you have a two handed weapon equipped and then you equip a bow through your inventory for instance. I don't know of any delay when switching from one hand to another though, if there is some, this mod is not gonna remove it.
Yes this is an optional feature I added to allow switching from a bow to another weapon by holding both in inventory. There's a delay based on the size of the bow and the size of the other weapon, and it means switching to a dagger is quicker than switching to a long sword. Glad you're not going to remove that, as I feel it's nicely balanced and gives a little bonus to the shorter weapons that would traditionally be used with a bow.

I left the standard DF delays for switching in inventory alone, but glad to see a mod that allows them to be tuned since they were a bit too long for my tastes.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Underking

Post by Underking »

Ok thanks for the details, I didn't know about this feature. I'm curious to see if Jarlyjarljarl is talking about that of if there actually is a bug in the mod.

Unfortunately, I was very lazy and did not take into account at all the type of the previously equipped weapon and the type of the newly equipped weapon if you actually want to keep some delay when using the mod. So you can only set a fixed delay between 0 and 10 seconds, no matter what weapons you are using.