[MOD-WIP] Correspondences of the Iliac Bay

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Cliffworms

[MOD-WIP] Correspondences of the Iliac Bay

Post by Cliffworms »

Correspondences of the Iliac Bay

Correspondences of the Iliac Bay will add over a hundred kind of letters that you can find in houses, shops, taverns, temples and guild halls. They can be correspondences between two citizens, love letters, shopping lists, advertisements for a local shop or a tavern, a communication by the local temple and more.

I found it makes the settlements feel more "alive" in the sense that you can read about things going on in town, like a shopkeeper being informed that his caravan will be delayed or an advertisement to dine at a local inn. The notes are randomly added in those locations upon entering a settlement. It is up to you to find them.

Technical stuff : I use the quest system to implement this, allowing me to detect when the PC enters a settlement and determining which building will have a letter dropped inside. The letter's content is randomly choosen from a long pool of text depending on the location. To prevent inventory clutter, the letters are removed as soon as the content is read when picked up. The locations and letters reset every 24 hours after leaving a settlement.

I use several default strings to make the content different, such as the region's name, places' names, NPC names, item names, the region's ruler's title and name, etc.

Some more screenshots :

Ideas always welcome. :D
Last edited by Cliffworms on Fri May 28, 2021 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

carademono

Re: [MOD] Correspondences of the Iliac Bay

Post by carademono »

I love, love, love this mod idea. A million points for every mod author that helps the Iliac Bay come alive!

Cliffworms

Re: [MOD-WIP] Correspondences of the Iliac Bay

Post by Cliffworms »

Progress has been advancing smoothly. The Mages Guild, temples, palaces, farms and wealthy homes are done. Residences in hamlets, villages and cities is what's taking more time to implement because the letters' content is different than the rest of the other locations.

Here are some samples, out of 54 possible letters, of what you may read in palaces. Correspondences in palaces can contain interesting bit information exchanged between the nobles, invitations to celebrations, farfetched conspiracies, angry letters from citizens and military reports. A huge thanks is in order to the various writers of the other Elder Scrolls titles, from which I kindly copied and adapted their texts. ;)

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

I absolutely LOVE the idea behind this mod and would love to contribute a few of my own writings myself, if I'm allowed! Or be given directions how to make my own addon for your mod. :mrgreen:

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

emmathepony wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm I absolutely LOVE the idea behind this mod and would love to contribute a few of my own writings myself, if I'm allowed! Or be given directions how to make my own addon for your mod. :mrgreen:
Thank you! :)

Just to let you know that the project is not abandoned at all. I've been busy helping Hazelnut with the upcoming World Data Editor. :)
You can simply PM me your texts and tell me where you would like them to show up (residences, taverns, shops, palaces, etc.).

I'll make a special category for your texts so that they have a higher chance of spawning than if they were mixed up with my own.

Cheers!