[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

Re: l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks; The texture markers are working for enemies now. I keep saying its done, then I find something else to do for it, but I really think it is done when I add in the texture markers for the npc flats and proper rescale code for the players zoom size. I would like to also add in some dynamic render texture size scaling to try and minimize the gpu packets having to be processed; with the 1024 render texture, it does cost a good 10 or so frames because it is rendering the whole seen again and then shunting it through the render texture. There is also the GPU optimization of turning the npc sphere markers into flat planes so there are less 3d vertices wondering around being processed, but this would remove the ability to dynamically alter the material properties so you can change the color on the fly to whatever RGB you want.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Pushed the newest version. Seems bug free and ready to go.

NPC texture icons and an option to turn it on and off is in place now.

Also, the building icons will now always face upwards when the auto rotate feature is on, so they can be easier to read.

Lastly, I added a house sale sign for houses the player can buy, so you can see and find them on the minimap easily. Nice for checking out the house you may be buying ahead of time.

I'm going to consider this done for now and move back to my other mods. I want to come back and add the 3d floating compass feature at some point since I was able to prove it in editor.

I'll throw together a nexus page for it in a while.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Really great addition and I love the tons of options to choose from.

Static compass for me! :arrow:

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it. I try to always approach my mods with the idea of compartmentalizing as much as I can, and allowing players to turn on and off what they like and allow them to set it up to their needs and desires. I always hate being forced into a play style/design choice.

If you use find any issues or have other recommendations please let me know. Be nice to find any remaining issues before I post to nexus.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Forgot to mention, if you're using this, the smart view setting and the label and icon switches are intertwined right now, so if you want to turn on only labels, you first need to turn on smart view, zoom in until the labels appear, disable icons, ensure labels is enabled, and then disable smart view, and then it will take.

I'll push a fix for this at some point, so you can disable and enable word labels or icons without having to mess with the smart view.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

UPDATE AVAILABLE - STABLE VERSION NOW - OSX & LINUX SUPPORT
  • Uses proper building location height to set indicator heights. You will no longer have missing indictors when loading towns by walking into their location and not teleporting in via fast travel.
  • Also cleaned up code a little.
  • Added custom autoMap layer for minimap. No longer will their be a risk of traditional DF minimap showing up on this mods Minimap.
  • Also added Osx and Linux builds.
Download it from my github.

Need to adjust enemy indicator textures for a few enemies, like bats so they show up better.

I want to add door and quest indicators at some point.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Quest markers for buildings that contain active quests are in, and quest marker for npc once inside that location are in. Finding the exact place and person for your current active objective should be much easier. Will be in next push.

cloudydaggerfall

Post by cloudydaggerfall »

Just installed and having problems getting the dungeon map to work. I'm using archeology, dream, enhanced sky, and your mod. This doesn't just break the compass mini map it breaks the actual map when you go to the vanilla dungeon map. I've tried seeing if anyone else has this problem and I haven't found it yet.
Edit: After testing it def is this mod. I swapped out my mods and there wasn't a conflict as the map was still broken. Also I've installed via Vortex.
Edit 2: I've uninstalled all mods but this one and I'm still getting the bug where there is no vanilla dungeon map. City mapping worked fine it's the dungeon map disappearing that hurts.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:58 am Quest markers for buildings that contain active quests are in, and quest marker for npc once inside that location are in. Finding the exact place and person for your current active objective should be much easier. Will be in next push.
Will this be default behaviour? Sounds more like a quest compass now, like the later games had. I'm sure many will like that, but not others.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Like everything I make, you will be able to disable it if it doesn't fit your play style. My #1 rule of development is allow the user as much control over the mod as possible, so they can make it fit their play style.

I hear you. As a realism junky, I actually wouldn't use it myself. However, I understand, many people get frustrated with the level of realistic difficulty I like in my games, so I thought I would create this option for those individuals. I know many players of DFU enjoy a more arcady, softer style to their play throughs.

Yes, I plan on it working like modern quest indicators. You will have a separate quest dial in the compass view area that rotates on its own and always points towards the closest, active quest. Then, on the minimap itself, the quest building, item, or npc will have a smaller magnifying glass attached to it to indicate it is a quest marker.

I have put in the magnifying glass quest markers for buildings, npcs, and items. I have not setup the quest dial that points towards the quest marker when it is off the minimap view. That will be coming next, then I will push a new release through.

I also have optimized the building indicator code. It is properly multithreaded now. Each building has its own script object attached to it, which then runs and sets up the proper minimap markers. This splits the load across numerous objects/threads, so cities, when loading or walking into them, it shouldn't cause a momentary script bottleneck anymore. It should be much smoother. I'll be adding in a random script timer to, so the script objects don't all kick on at once to help spread the threads over a few frames and minimize bottleneck even more.

I also know there are still some bugs left in this, especially when loading extremely large cities. As an example, the city of sentinel only loads half the city right now.