[WIP] Infinite Villagers

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
carademono

[WIP] Infinite Villagers

Post by carademono »

I'm going to be light on modding for the next couple of weeks while my family and I take a vacation, and I actually do my job a little bit (they should never have let me work from home). But in the meantime, I wanted to introduce the next thing I'll be working on: Infinite Villagers. Simply put, I want to have the engine superimpose NPC portraits onto mobile sprites, vastly increasing villager variety. Here's a quick mock-up of what that might look like.
Spoiler!
Now, I think that this is a pretty simple coding task -- simply superimposing a head png on top of a body png -- but I don't know the first thing about coding and don't have much time (or interest) for learning to. So if you'd like to see this in-game and you have the necessary coding skills, please respond here or send me a PM! The ultimate goal here is to add not only several dozen Breton, Redguard, and Nord varieties, but also Dunmer, Altmer, etc using the character creation faces.
Last edited by carademono on Sat May 22, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carademono

Re: [WIP] Infinite Villagers

Post by carademono »

Three new Redguard villagers. These are fun to do!
Spoiler!

carademono

Post by carademono »

For whatever reason, all the earlier sprites were really hard work but these are just fun as hell.
Spoiler!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats a great idea and I hope it can be done. Im quite sure some similar approach was used in the Villagers Immersion Overhaul by Kamer. Maybe ask him on how he made it.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Thanks, KoW! The spriting is pretty simple but the coding is beyond me. VIO is what inspired me to try to make this mod. I'll reach out to Kamer.

At this point I've more-or-less finished about 40 new, unique faces. Most of these faces can also be fit on multiple bodies, so there are really quite a large number of possible face-body permutations. I've also begun work on Dunmer villagers (see the images below!). The toughest are Breton women -- so much yellow -- and those faces still need quite a bit of work.
Spoiler!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

You will also need a version from their heads from behind.
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 am You will also need a version from their heads from behind.
Yes, definitely. For the initial release I'm just planning to be consistent about which heads can go on which bodies. So, no hair color changes, no unbearded faces where the original had a beard, etc. But as soon as that's working I'll turn to mixing and matching heads when the sprites are walking in different directions. Once that's set up we could put pretty much any head on any body.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its a nice idea and with some fiddling around its doable.
I can provide my faces or upscales of the villagers. With the faces (portraits) there might be issue because I created the shading for them to better fit the HUD and they are a bit darker towards the edges
TFAC00I0.RCI_148-0.png
TFAC00I0.RCI_148-0.png (224.85 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
TFAC00I0.RCI_95-0.png
TFAC00I0.RCI_95-0.png (247.16 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
455_5-0.png
455_5-0.png (585.34 KiB) Viewed 1964 times

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

carademono wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 am You will also need a version from their heads from behind.
Yes, definitely. For the initial release I'm just planning to be consistent about which heads can go on which bodies. So, no hair color changes, no unbearded faces where the original had a beard, etc. But as soon as that's working I'll turn to mixing and matching heads when the sprites are walking in different directions. Once that's set up we could put pretty much any head on any body.
Once my mod is finalized (which can easily take half a year more) I could look into this, as I had a similar idea in my "idea collection thread" :D
Never really worked with stitching pngs together via code, but will give it a look I guess. Also would like to spawn way more NPCs in shopping areas of cities and a sound emitter that plays some hustling and bustling city noise at these places. Number of NPCs should be adjusted to opening hours of shops as well. There are so many small tweaks that could increase the believability of NPCs in this game :D
Having them seemingly meet and talk to each other would be nice already, even they only stand close and look at each other. Would be a huge improvement.
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

King of Worms wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:31 pm Its a nice idea and with some fiddling around its doable.
I can provide my faces or upscales of the villagers. With the faces (portraits) there might be issue because I created the shading for them to better fit the HUD and they are a bit darker towards the edges
These faces are fantastic! The vignette effect at the edges won't be a problem, in particular for hooded NPCs. I just bought a Google Drive account so that we can pool our spriting resources -- I'll send you a PM with a link.
Daniel87 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:30 am Once my mod is finalized (which can easily take half a year more) I could look into this, as I had a similar idea in my "idea collection thread"
Never really worked with stitching pngs together via code, but will give it a look I guess. Also would like to spawn way more NPCs in shopping areas of cities and a sound emitter that plays some hustling and bustling city noise at these places. Number of NPCs should be adjusted to opening hours of shops as well. There are so many small tweaks that could increase the believability of NPCs in this game
Having them seemingly meet and talk to each other would be nice already, even they only stand close and look at each other. Would be a huge improvement.
I remember talking with you about this in that thread and was hoping to pique your interest, Daniel! I love those ideas, and hopefully we can get the infinite villager sprites, your coding, and Kamer's work on VIO to all play nicely together.