Jay_H's Ridiculous Spells Mod

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Jay_H

Jay_H's Ridiculous Spells Mod

Post by Jay_H »

NOTE: This mod was mainly intended as a proof of concept, and I greatly recommend you try Kab's Unleveled Spells instead. It is a much more reasonable approach to a spells mod than this, and the two are incompatible.

"When you're trying to balance something, it's better to make it too powerful than too useless. Then people will use it, and you can reduce its power until it's balanced." -- David Sirlin (paraphrased)

The Ridiculous Spells Mod!

TO INSTALL: Extract the SPELLS.STD file to your base Daggerfall data, in the arena2 folder. It will replace a SPELLS.STD file you already have in there. You may want to make a copy of the old file before replacing it.

TO UNINSTALL: Delete the new SPELLS.STD file and put the old one in its place. The DaggerfallGameFiles folder has an original included.

===========

This mod edits the game's circinate spells, which Daggerfall Unity draws from, to create entirely new ones. I decided to replace and remove many of the old spells that nobody uses, and combined effects to create others. I had some fun working this out, like creating a "Spirit Scout" spell that provides Invisibility and Tongues. Imagine running through a dungeon invisible, pacifying all the enemies before you explore it for real! It's just one of the many new creations available with this mod.

I did my best to lower magicka costs wherever I could, since I don't want these spells to be unreachable.

One of my limitations is that these spells are also forcibly linked to the magic items they belong to. Therefore, I couldn't alter the Toxic Cloud spell too much since the same Toxic Cloud spell will show up in any "Toxic Cloud" magic item. However, I did change the values for every single spell in the game. Because these spells can be used from magic items, some of them have very powerful effects and exorbitant magicka costs.

Some spells, like Disintegrate and Dispel Undead, are gone for good. You can still make them in the Spellmaker, but they're too dangerous for ordinary gameplay; if you Disintegrate an enemy carrying a quest item, I don't know that you can ever get it back. That's a big problem! So I replaced them.

A little bonus: Spiders will paralyze you for much less time when they hit. Hooray!

Playtesting requested! Let me know about the bugs and really unbalanced stuff so I can fine-tune it. As I'm posting this I'm realizing this is probably going to make mage enemies insanely powerful. We'll have to see!

Also I don't know how to properly choose the spell icon from within DFSpell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If anyone figures that out let me know.

yabay

Re: Jay_H's Ridiculous Spells Mod

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Spell Resistance: Good catch, thank you. I've altered Breton Skin to be a 25+1/2 spell now.

Dispel: One of them is Self, the other is On Touch.

Water Walking+Breathing: It's a short spell so I figured I could use "transform" as an idea for it. I couldn't think of many better names.

I made the change and uploaded a new version to Nexus.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

yabay wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 amWhen casting this spell, the character is thrown to the surface of the water and Water Breathing is not necessary. It would make sense if Walking was shorter in duration than Breathing. Thank you for your hard work, I really like all your QPs and mods!
I've never known this to be the behavior of Water Walking. That's how it works in Morrowind, but in Daggerfall it's actually the Swift Swim spell (I wish I could rename the spell effects themselves). I'll try this myself today but I'd be surprised to find this out.
Thank you for your hard work, I really like all your QPs and mods!
You're welcome, and I'm grateful for the feedback. I don't want to release a buggy, unfinished work and I'm glad to be shown my mistakes :)
In the Alpha3 version, I think I need to fix the Master's Shapeshif and Shifting Shape spells.
I'll take a second look at those. What should I be looking for in them?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:46 pm I've never known this to be the behavior of Water Walking. That's how it works in Morrowind, but in Daggerfall it's actually the Swift Swim spell (I wish I could rename the spell effects themselves). I'll try this myself today but I'd be surprised to find this out.
I just tested it in the water under Daggerfall Castle, and Water Walking is indeed the Swift Swim spell. I remained underwater both when I casted it and while the spell lasted. It's working OK for my purposes.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

yabay wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 pm Yes, indeed, it is. But if you cast this spell before diving into the water, then Water Breathing is not necessary. But, you are the author, do as you see fit.
True, both the spells aren't needed every time. I tend to cast them every time so I figured I'd make it a double-spell so it's easier for other players. I have no problem splitting them if many people agree.
A very good modification of the base file of the game, in combination with the Unleveled Mobs mod, very interesting enemy collisions are obtained.
Thank you, I'm worried about enemy mages using the new spells to destroy players but I'll wait 'til people talk about that :)

I'll take a look at the Shapeshifter spells, thanks for the feedback.