[MODDING TOOL] GIS Construction Set

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Kamer

Re: [MODDING TOOL] GIS Construction Set

Post by Kamer »

Works like a charm. Yet another obstacle of World of Daggerfall is solved. So much simpler yet how I go about it must change.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

carademono wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm The travel map renders the paths as a 5000x2500 pixel texture, would that work? Ideally needs to be an easily repeatable procedure as the paths may change slightly over time as people report issues. (e.g. a track along a almost vertical slope)

I could possibly add a command to the mod to export this texture as a png file. Does the colour depth or transparency matter at all?
I think a 5000x2500 would be perfect! I already have world files set up to convert that texture size to the GIS map. I don't think color depth or transparency matters at all.
Well, as is usual that was a bit harder than I envisioned. Done it though. If you grab this test version of basic roads, then start the game and use the new command "exportpathspng" you will find a PNG file called "BasicRoads-paths.png" in your DFU settings folder. It's a 5000x2500 pixel PNG with roads in black and tracks in brown. If you'd like to have the ability to get separate road and track PNGs let me know. You must turn on path editor in the settings for the command to be loaded though. Just turn it off again later to save memory when done.

I think it may be best to have people do this themselves rather than upload a fixed png to your repo, just so they get the latest path data etc. Though I'm not that fussed and maybe for the time being it would be easier to provide it. I don't change the data much, because I don't get many reports of bad paths. Just a couple so far.
Attachments
basicroads-1.0.2.zip
(81.91 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Wow this is incredible 👀 great job man!

carademono

Post by carademono »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:51 pm Well, as is usual that was a bit harder than I envisioned. Done it though. If you grab this test version of basic roads, then start the game and use the new command "exportpathspng" you will find a PNG file called "BasicRoads-paths.png" in your DFU settings folder. It's a 5000x2500 pixel PNG with roads in black and tracks in brown. If you'd like to have the ability to get separate road and track PNGs let me know. You must turn on path editor in the settings for the command to be loaded though. Just turn it off again later to save memory when done.
This is incredible, Hazelnut, thank you so much! I'll try to get the Basic Roads layer into the project tomorrow.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Updated the Construction Set this morning with the Basic Roads map. For now it's a raster map, essentially just a categorized PNG image. Later on I'll see if I can vectorize it, which will be more helpful for algorithmic placement of prefabs. I also changed several of the reference layers to Spatialite, a more open and transportable format than Shapefiles.

I also updated the tutorial with a more detailed explanation of the type field and a discussion of how prefabs interact with Basic Roads. See the Kalunnunu tutorial for more details. Many thanks to Kamer for patiently walking me through all this!

Arl

Post by Arl »

This is insane, way to go monkeyface.

Maybe this can open the doors to a lite/redux version of Daggerfall, with a walkable map with prefab compounds for interesting vistas and scenarios, more personalized locations like cities and dungeons, ETC.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Updated the repository and the tutorial with a Python script (https://github.com/drcarademono/GIS-con ... convert.py) that automates the process of splitting and converting your CSV into smaller txt files that World of Daggerfall can load. To use it, simply place the script in the same folder as your CSV file and type at the command line:

Code: Select all

python gisconvert.py input.csv 100

carademono

Post by carademono »

The polygonized Roadside layers are now finished and available in the project posted in my Github. You can use these to place prefabs (like bandit camps or Imperial watchtowers) along the roads. With this addition, I now consider the GIS Construction Set to be essentially feature complete -- at least, until you all think of new features for me to add.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Can that be updated easily enough if I update road data? Hoping it's an automated procedure.

I can already tell that the export from roads mod was not done with the latest data, as I tidied it up removing the brown * left in from editing. Does that mean that the 1.0.2 didn't contain those changes? (sorry if so)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

carademono

Post by carademono »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 pm Can that be updated easily enough if I update road data? Hoping it's an automated procedure.

I can already tell that the export from roads mod was not done with the latest data, as I tidied it up removing the brown * left in from editing. Does that mean that the 1.0.2 didn't contain those changes? (sorry if so)
I'm pretty sure I did use 1.0.2 to make the layer. Please shoot me a message when you release with the updated maps and I'll update the Roadside layers. Fortunately, it's a reasonably automated procedure :)