[MODDING TOOL] GIS Construction Set

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Re: [MODDING TOOL] GIS Construction Set

Post by Daniel87 »

That is amazing! Absolutely amazing work! <3

I worked with ArcGIS in University and it definitely is super useful and makes total sense for DFU! Brilliant!

I am SO looking forward for new and interesting locations in the Iliac Bay!
Omg, this is amazing!

But this also means that I need to figure out how to check my vegetation for possible collision with Bandit Camps, Rocks, Docks, etc.
What do all of them have in common? There should be a collider I can check against, right?
At what point of time do they get loaded into the game? Is that before or after the Terrain Nature is being placed? Cities and Towns by example are loaded in AFTER the nature is placed, which gives me a hard time when I try to remove the clearing zone of forests and let trees and plants grow on any grass surface inside the city BUT NOT inside of buildings. Of course it would be amazing if that can be solved, but I am not sure how to handle it in a CPU friendly manner atm. (I have some raycast functions that can do the trick, but only when I change the load order of city compared to terrain nature).

Pleae tell me that the locations get loaded into the map before the Terrain Nature.
In Julianos we Trust.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It does the loading of places when the OnPromoteTerrainData event is fired. That happens after all the terrain height and texturing has been done, but before nature layout is called. So you may be alright when you come to do that bit, though performance will be a concern. I'd advise focussing on getting the mod finished for plain DFU first.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

carademono

Post by carademono »

Daniel, thanks for the kind words! I use your mod and haven't noticed any issues with vegetation growing through prefabs. I think the world of daggerfall.dfmod does indeed clear vegetation before plopping down the prefab (which I think is what Hazelnut just said but he said it smarter) so there shouldn't be compatibility issues. And let me just say, rocks + your mod = chef's kiss

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 pm It does the loading of places when the OnPromoteTerrainData event is fired. That happens after all the terrain height and texturing has been done, but before nature layout is called. So you may be alright when you come to do that bit, though performance will be a concern. I'd advise focussing on getting the mod finished for plain DFU first.
About that, I think I improved the performance a bit by restructuring the forest creation if-else chain. It looks more complicated now but it should operate faster. Drowning a little in IRL work these days, so I didn't have that much time to continue on the mod sadly.
carademono wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:18 pm Daniel, thanks for the kind words! I use your mod and haven't noticed any issues with vegetation growing through prefabs. I think the world of daggerfall.dfmod does indeed clear vegetation before plopping down the prefab (which I think is what Hazelnut just said but he said it smarter) so there shouldn't be compatibility issues. And let me just say, rocks + your mod = chef's kiss
Thank you for the praise :) Trying to move on to the next climate zone soon. Just some performance issues I would like to address before doing so. The temperate climate serves as my prototype. If I can get that one loading and running smoother, it will play out well on the other biomes too.
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Quick update: got the Roadside layers updated to the most recent version of the Basic Roads path data... I hope!

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

so you basically walked up to the partially filled canvas that is daggerfall and left powerful brushes to breath new life into the world?

amazing. This modding community will grow to that of skyrims (maybe)

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

This is an amazing modding tool, nice work! Can't wait to see all the content that is going to be generated with this. As said beforehand, Daggerfall Unity needs modding tools outside of coding, and this is a really good example of that!

Zarrgon66

Post by Zarrgon66 »

Could this be used effectively in overhaul mods?

carademono

Post by carademono »

GIS Construction Kit update
- Updated with all World of Daggerfall 0.2 layers
- Several new roadside and climate placement layers added
- DungeonType now coded for vanilla dungeons
- New command-line tools by @Kab the Bird Ranger and myself to automate CSV conversion between the GIS CK and the Location Loader
- Important: If you have any layers in progress, make sure to back it up to uniquely named geopackages as you will need to manually re-add those layers after updating
https://github.com/drcarademono/GIS-construction-set

FAQ
Zarrgon66 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:05 pm Could this be used effectively in overhaul mods?
Yep. This bad boy is one of the tools at the heart of the World of Daggerfall Project (https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/249).