Roads of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
ByteMixer

Re: Roads of Daggerfall

Post by ByteMixer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:47 pm

meritamas wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:02 am
Don't recall ever being called a 'realism or immersion junkie', but fair enough. Fits well :D
They weren't my words. ;) After all, I consider myself somewhat of an immersion junkie, haha! :lol:
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 am

Nothing to be ashamed of. I am an immersion junkie, too. I want my game as realistic and true to life as possible, tho I draw the line at bodily functions.

As far as game mechanics on roads, I think that going "on rails" should only be a thing for a TT type mod. Otherwise, depending on the surface you're walking on (grass, dirt, stone) you should pull from a different enemy spawn table and make the spawn amounts based on distance from the nearest town. That way you could have brigands spawn on roads far away from town, and more pastoral wildlife like bears spawn in the grassy tiles far off the road.

Note that "grass" includes a type of sand for desert areas.

Also let it be known that I am making my own personal map with something like this in mind. I am going to be using a Wetness index for terrain coverage, and lifting up all locations and lines between them slightly. People tend to make cities on top of local maxima (hills, bergs, etc) and away from floods, while also crowding around global minima (valleys, coasts, etc).

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Jeoshua wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 am
As far as game mechanics on roads, I think that going "on rails" should only be a thing for a TT type mod.
Just an early morning thought: What if the "rails" were angle limited? Sort of a driving assist, but not true rails. So, if you're walking along a road and it veers 15 degrees left, the game turns you to follow it. But if you hit the edge of the road at greater than 45 degrees, you walk off of it normally. So you don't have a separate mode to keep track of, and leaving the road is intuitive. Crossing roads would be unaffected, unless you crossed them at a very shallow angle...

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of encouraging me to use roads. In games, I'm ludicrously lazy and walk in straight lines to my destination, across yards, mud, ice, through shrubs, etc. But in the real world, I'm a sidewalk/path follower. I try to do that sometimes in DF towns, but I always fall back to just running off at weird angles and jumping over ponds...

Betrayal at Krondor had a rail-based "follow road" system. It was nice, but could be a bit jarring (sudden rotations -- I will say that some kind of prediction and early smooth turning would be really nice).