[MOD-WIP] Clairvoyance - Quest Marker spell

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
kiskoller

[MOD-WIP] Clairvoyance - Quest Marker spell

Post by kiskoller »

Mod is still work in progress, I'm ironing out bugs, adding localisation and such. This is how the first iteration will play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTWV1b4-sE

Hazelnut

Re: [MOD-WIP] Clairvoyance - Quest Marker spell

Post by Hazelnut »

That's quite similar to the locator devices from my Archaeologists guild mod, have you seen them at all? :)

I'm curious how you plan to balance this for gameplay? Will it be expensive in terms of magic points and how long will it last and require re-casting etc? Which magic skill will it use?

One of the things I did with my devices was have them cost a fair amount and not activate until a certain percentage of the dungeon had been explored first so as not to make dungeon quests too trivial for players. (although it can still be hard to find the way to the marker in some labyrinths) The percentage starts at around 38% and reduces to 20% by rank 4 and continues to drop as you get promoted. You could implement a similar mechanism based on magic skill level for your spell, what do you think?

Anyway, feel free to look at the code if you want - link to my github is below.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

I've read about your mod and the Locator item after I've started working on this to be honest.

I figured this will be a good intro to modding for me and the end result provides a different experience for the users: magic spell instead of item, without an added guild, etc. So I've decided to finish this mod but keep it as simple as possible.

Honestly gameplay difficulty isn't my focus at this time. One of the common criticism Daggerfall receives is that it's hard to navigate dungeons and find the quest target. I figured this mod could be used by those who share this sentiment.

The idea is to use Thaumaturgy, have both chance, duration, magnitude and high cost. Chance makes it easy to fail, magnitude limits the distance in which the quest target is visible. At low levels you can cast this and take a glimpse of the quest item's location if it is in the same block, which is enough in the smaller random dungeons, at mid levels you could do the same in the big main quest ones and at high levels you can just keep this up no problem and have a much easier time navigate the huge main quest dungeons.

However I'm stuck at the moment with making the magic effect expire, I've made a separate post for that, if it isn't a big think to ask, could you look at it? I've posted my code and the problems I'm facing.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4952

I'm also gonna examine your mods, thank you for sharing the source code.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I was planning on adding a potion to help find quest objectives in the near future, the "Draught of Seeking'.

Unlike the Archaeologist Locator item, it wouldn't provide the exact location of the quest objective, just a general text description about direction and maybe the general environment.

In the context of game lore, it would be a potion typically favored by underworld types (burglars and assassins).

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That's funny, that was my next addition to the minimap mod. A quest marker icon with an arrow on the minimap pointing to it on the edge of the minimap. I was going to balance it by forcing players to use an equipment slot and not have weapons drawn.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

The fact that 3 other modders are already making/planning to make a similar mod shows me that I'm not alone, everybody is getting lost in the dungeons :D

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

yabay wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:23 am A great mod, but there are some rough edges.Screenshot 2021-07-13 042046.jpg
I play in a screen resolution of 800x600.
I'll look into it, thanks for the bug report!

Update: I've fixed the bug, please notify me if I wasn't successful.