[MOD] Detailed City Walls

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Detailed City Walls

Post by Cliffworms »

Detailed City Walls

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus

Changelog
Spoiler!

Removed untextured tower at one of the city gates.

Added Ninelan's regional banners to all of the capital cities.
Guards inside the walls of capital cities with a knightly order will belong to it.
Some of Wayrest's guards inside the walls wear the heraldry on their armor.

Removed the gate towers because of an issue with dungeons in cities (ex. Castle Daggerfall) that made the
players exit at the gates' towers.

Initial release
Credits
Hazelnut for the World Data variant script, the World Data Editor and his patience for answering my questions on how world data works in Daggerfall.
Uncanny Valley for the first version of the Building Editor.
Ninelan for the regional banners based on NikitaTheTanner's designs
Interkarma and the wonderful community that gave us Daggerfall Unity
JayH for the excellent Quest Tutorial.
TheLacus for the great Daggerfall Quest Editor.
The DFU community for feedback.
Daggerfall's development team, how could I not credit them?

Detailed City Walls decorates the otherwise empty interior buildings found inside city walls. They now contain guard barracks, storehouses, armories, training rooms and even a jail.

The exterior is also changed. City gates now have ballistas. The walkways on top of the walls also contain torches to light the dark nights of the Iliac Bay.

The capital cities get a special treatment, with their regional banners hanging proudly above the gates and along the corner towers. In addition, two guard towers inside Castle Daggerfall's courtyard that had broken interiors have been restored.

Finally, it contains also 3 new quests taking place inside these new buildings so that you may visit them for a reason other than mere curiosity :
  • The Watch Captain (Thieves Guild) : Blackmail an overzealous watch captain
    The Watch Captain (Dark Brotherhood) : Avenge a fallen member who was executed by the watch captain
    Contraband (Commoners) : Retrieve an object confiscated by the city watch.

INSTALLATION

Detailed City Walls requires Ninelan's Daggerfall Expanded Textures.

Either install using Vortex Mod Manager or install manually as described below.

Extract the content of the archive to the StreamingAssets of your Daggerfall Unity directory.

Example : [Your drive]\DagUnity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets

The .dfmod file will be installed in "Mods" and the quests will be in "QuestPack\Cliff\DCW".

In-game, activate Detailed City Walls and Daggerfall Expanded Textures from the mod launcher.

SAVE GAMES

It is recommended you are not along the city walls when you activate the mod. Else, you could be stucked inside one of the new exterior guard towers!

If your save game is in one of the capital cities, you'll not instantly notice their regional banners. Traveling somewhere else and back will load the banners correctly.

CONFLICTS/KNOWN ERRORS

If using Handpainted Models - Buildings, the regional banners will clip with the walls.

If you encounter any other issue with the mod, please let me know.

I'll let some screenshots fill out the rest. There are more on the Nexus. :)

Last edited by Cliffworms on Mon May 09, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Daniel87

Re: [WIP] Detailed City Walls

Post by Daniel87 »

Absolutely awesome! I love the idea and it really completes an aspect of the game that was meant to be but never got finished in time!
It feels totally in the spirit of the team that created the whole game in the first place. Looking forward to seeing it ingame :)
In Julianos we Trust.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback, Daniel. I appreciate it. :)

I changed the gate towers with one used by the dungeons which fit the wall architecture more than the Fighters Guild towers I used earlier.
I also added a brazier on top of the towers and a torch on the walls' walkway every few model.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just passing by to say I really really love it. U picked a part which has a high impact to the game and thats a good thing. These walls are something everybody will see many times 😊

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

The tiny details like with the boat models and such are very pleasant. Brings quite a lot of new life to those lifeless halls.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

It's a release!

More details in the first post. Cheers!

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus

Cliffworms

Re: [MOD] Detailed City Walls

Post by Cliffworms »

I have been made aware that exiting Castle Daggerfall, Castle Wayrest and Castle Sentinel will have you stand at one of the city gates.
This is an oversight of mine, I'm afraid.

I used towers found in dungeons' exteriors for the gate towers I rotated them so the "dungeon entrance" would be hidden inside the city walls.
Yet, the game still registers these hidden doors as possible exit points from dungeons located inside cities, like the three main castles.

This is uncharted territory for me. If someone knows how to remove the door property on those particular towers, I'd appreciate it very much. Maybe by exporting and re-importing the tower mesh and then removing the door property? I have no idea where that information is hidden.

This bug will apply to any other city that has a dungeon, like the visitable crypts mod. So that can be mostly problematic in this case.

theJF

Post by theJF »

Really good work cliff! It's good on it's own terms but also feels consistent with the taverns redone mod. Worth the 28 days incarceration for breaking and entering ;)

risk

Post by risk »

wow, this looks really nice!

can we sleep in those beds? would be funny to break in late at night and get a rest lol

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

I have updated the mod to 1.01, which temporarily removes the gate towers until I can find a way to remove the door triggers on them. That had the effect of teleporting the PC who left city dungeons like Castle Daggerfall right at the city gates.
theJF wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:50 am Really good work cliff! It's good on it's own terms but also feels consistent with the taverns redone mod. Worth the 28 days incarceration for breaking and entering ;)
Thank you, theJF. I appreciate it. I noticed on your last stream that you got the issue with the teleport to the city gates from Wayrest. It'll be fixed now, at the cost of removing the towers for now.
risk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:41 am wow, this looks really nice!

can we sleep in those beds? would be funny to break in late at night and get a rest lol
Thanks!

Nope, beds are pure eye candy like the ones in residences. Nobody lives inside those buildings and you can't be arrested for trespassing unless you're caught bashing the doors, so feel free to give it a quick look and run away once the guards arrive. :lol: