[MOD-WIP] Bestiary

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: [MOD-WIP] Bestiary

Post by King of Worms »

Man I thought u scratched the idea of rotation and attack as a feature creep :D Glad you did implement it!
One thing Ive noticed in the video is you clicked "rotate" on a spider and it rotated him by 180 degrees. It should rotate by 45 degrees. The MOB sprites contain only rotation to the left, rotation to the right is mirrored. And yea, the animation is too slow - I suggest to find a setting which is same as the ingame and call it a day.

Great progress!

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

2021_07_28_20_52_48.jpg
2021_07_28_20_52_48.jpg (166.63 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Images now load as they should.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is really cool. Love it as an immersion addition. One last thing I would love to see is it added as an in-game book you have to pick up or buy before you can use it. For players who don't want to hassle, you could add an option in settings to disable the book requirement/check easy.

If you need help with adding the item and checking for it in player inventory before opening the UI, I can help there; I did this for my specalized Spellbreaker shield addition in my shield mod.

As for adding it to enemy drops lists and shops, I have not touched any of this code yet; some one else could probably assist more than I.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Having it as a book u need to buy/loot sounds immersive :)
Great progress, nice to see Dream Mobs inside the bestiary!

So I guess last things I should provide for full HD experience are:
left/right arrow
buttons
possibly the attack icon On/Off

Only thing I think should be improved is the placement of the "Animals" (or other) text above the arrows.
I think that text should be centered, now it appears to be aligned towards the left arrow.
And the arrows should be re-arranged in a way the rotation arrows are arranged now, for coherency.
The result would be this:
01.jpg
01.jpg (219.31 KiB) Viewed 1694 times

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

2021_07_29_19_30_10.jpg
2021_07_29_19_30_10.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Progress report:
  • I have adjusted the UI as per KoW's suggestions.
  • The images still don't rotate as they should. Turns out, it's a little more complicated than I thought, but that should get fixed.
  • Making the Bestiary unlockable through a book is a great idea, but I will look into that later.
  • I'm leaving at Sunday so don't expect updates from that point on for 2 weeks and a bit.
  • Thanks for all the feedback.
Link to my github here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just a small update:

Ive created all the textures and buttons, and was able to inject them into your mod easily and it works just like that, thats great!

There are few issues, most likely u know about em, but I will write em down here just in case:

- 3rd column of the buttons is a bit misaligned to the right
- 3rd row of the buttons is a bit misaligned to the top
(but this is a non-issue in my HD version as Ive removed the unused buttons laters as its shown at the bottom of this post, its a issue in the standard version tho I guess)
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (185.33 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

- Some animations have missing frames - Ive noticed it at Giant Rat and Spider movement. And Seducer attack.

- Mobs should be sorted by the Alphabet. Id say like this:
A B C
D E F
G H I

- All mobs should face the same direction at default?
Its not the case for Bat and Scorpion. But the Bat and Rat look the best from front so Im not sure, Id personally would make all mobs front facing. Or maybe have that setting in option? Front facing/Side facing. Have a look and judge for yourself, what facing is the best.

- That dagger icon is sometimes covering the legs of some mobs, maybe it would look ok if it was moved to the left bottom corner of the blue window, like a mirrored reflection of those left/right arrows?

All in all, great job so far. Reintroducing this thing in the game is IMO really good idea!! IF you manage to make it a actual item you can buy, and introduce the mobs after the kill with a small text note when it happens, it would be amazing. Im sure in case it will be hard for you, some coders will help with that! Thank you for your efforts :)
Note to self:
I will remove the empty buttons on the default background. Will look better when there are no empty buttons when the mobs dont fill all the spots. - DONE

I might darken the parchment so the readability is improved. Worked well with other similar menus (notebook etc) in DREAM mod. - DONE
Heres the final result with all the changes, I think its shaping up nicely :) Cant post it as another spoiler, sry
DONE.jpg
DONE.jpg (412.46 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Great work, its looking great.
I will implement it once I get to my computer (around 12 days).
Link to my github here.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Suggestion: add known spells for spellcasting enemies: Imp, Orc Priest, Ghost, Wraith, Fire Daedra, Frost Daedra, Daedroth, Daedra Lord, Vampire, Vampire Ancient, Lich, Ancient Lich.

It's hard to tell what elemental resistances you need for each enemy since their classic spell icons are pretty much all the same. It would avoid a trip to UESP each time you need a refresher.

Ideally, it would be customizable through mod messaging so mods that change enemy spells (ex: what I'm working on) can keep the Bestiary accurate.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Another suggestion after Kab
Add kill count of the specific MOB
Maybe some summary page would be nice as well, where u see all mobs names on the page and killcounts :D

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Progress report:
  • Fixed button positions
  • Added in pages for all the monster categories and entries for all monsters
  • Added support for hd button and background textures (KoW, please send them me)
  • Added a "Summary page" (Screenshot 1) that is the first thing that opens when you switch categories. It can also be accessed by clicking the category name text (in this case "Atronachs"), but that should be better advertised, nut sure how. Right know, I feel like you have to know that the button is there.
Note 1: What do you think about the text displayed? Most of it is copied (and a little edited) from UESP (I'll credit them once I release the mod). Should I add more, remove something? I'm open to suggestions.

Note 2: For the book item and kill count features, that'll maybe have to wait post release (of Bestiary).

Questions for coders:
Is it possible to grab abilities and spells of a mob (instead of relying on a mod messaging the changes)? I'm thinking something like this:

Code: Select all

//This is made up
textLabel1.Text = Mob.Rat.Spells();
textLabel21.Text = Mob.Rat.Resistances();
Screenshots:
Screenshot 1:
2021_08_18_11_19_38.jpg
2021_08_18_11_19_38.jpg (180.9 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Note, the killcount doesn't work.
Screenshot 2:
2021_08_18_11_20_09.jpg
2021_08_18_11_20_09.jpg (379.03 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Note, the red part ins't actually there. It only appears once you scroll down to see it, but I didn't feel like making another screenshot. Probably should make it more apparent that you can scroll down when you can (mabe a floating arrow somewhere?, I dunno).
Link to my github here.