[MOD-WIP] Bestiary

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Shapur

[MOD-WIP] Bestiary

Post by Shapur »

2021_07_19_13_53_50.jpg
2021_07_19_13_53_50.jpg (207.02 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
I have been working on a mod that reintroduces a bestiary as can bee seen in this demo:https://archive.org/details/TheElderScr ... rfall_1020
https://youtu.be/4vNkdaEJS2g?t=264

The only thing it does is adding that menu (press B to open it), so it isn't really useful for anything, but it's a thing. It is also my first mod for DFU so if you wish to try it out, proceed with caution. :)

Before releasing it, it would like add some things and I'm not sure how:
  1. What is the best way to implement hotkey assigning (allow the user to pick the key they want to use to open the menu) using mod settings? I was thinking about letting the user enter a character through the text box and than use a lot of ifs to convert that character into a KeyCode.

Something like:

Code: Select all

if (enterredKey == "a" || enterredKey == "A")
    {
        openMenuKeyCode = KeyCode.A;
    }
    else if (enterredKey == "b" || enterredKey == "B")
    {
        openMenuKeyCode = KeyCode.B;
    }
    But that doesn't seem too elegant. Is there a better way?
  2. The other thing I don't know how to do is making pictures of monsters respect other mods replacing the vanilla textures and using the modded ones instead.

Example: When I load the mod along side D.R.E.A.M., I would like the pixelated original texture to be replaced with nice upscaled ones. And if it was loaded with a mod that replaces all spriggans with Todd Howard, I want the spriggan texture in the menu to be replaced with Todd Howard.
    I currently load images kinda like this:

Code: Select all

DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.TextureReader textureReader = new DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.TextureReader(DaggerfallUnity.Arena2Path);
    pictureTexture = textureReader.GetTexture2D(190, 0);

Download: https://github.com/JIRKA222/DFU-Bestiar ... od%20files
Source code: https://github.com/JIRKA222/DFU-Bestiary
Last edited by Shapur on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Re: [MOD-WIP] Bestiary

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Good stuff. I love these kinds of menus.

I'd be happy to have a look at some of your questions, but it seems your repo has been left private. Did you mean to make it public?

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Whoops, should be public now.
Link to my github here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great job, I was always up for re-implementing this feature from the demo, very glad to see it ingame! And thank you for considering a DREAM MOBs compatibility. If that part is possible, Id also love to try to make that menu tab upscaled in a similar fashion all other DREAM tabs are done, so if ppl use our mods together, they get the HD experience.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Thanks,
here is the menu tab image, if you have the time to upscale it, that would be great: https://github.com/JIRKA222/DFU-Bestiar ... ground.png
Implementing it shouldn't be a problem.
Link to my github here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ive remade the tab, let me know how it fits.
Im a bit afraid of the scaling issues (those prevented me from providing the HD HUD for the Traveling Mod from Hazelnut)

Btw its missing a lot of mobs, so if another "page" of this tab is needed, with the rest of the mobs, I can create it. In that case, it might make sense to re-make the Mob name buttons maybe in alphabetical order or something like that.

Also a nice feature would be a text msg when u encounter a mob for a 1st time, like "Giant Rat added to the bestiary"

PNG Download: https://easyupload.io/17gyba
JPG Preview:
Spoiler!
JPG.jpg
JPG.jpg (230 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

2021_07_21_15_54_33.jpg
2021_07_21_15_54_33.jpg (179.6 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Looks great, now to make the pictures hd too...

So far it looks to be working fine (only tested it at roughly 16:9). I've updated the mod on my github (same link as before).

It's definitely a good idea to add entries for the rest of the mobs. But I don't know yet, how will the UI be layed out, so there's no point making fancy buttons for them just yet.

Also, the new font is a lot more compact than the old one so you can have circa 2x more information. So far, I use the text from the demo, but it could be expanded upon.

Filling out the bestiary over time, as you kill / encounter stuff also isn't a bad idea, but since I don't know how to do it, I'll have find out how first.
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (38.81 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Maybe something kinda like this?
Link to my github here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

So the scaling is working in this case, because the image is 16:10 and you are on 16:9, good.

I hope you can get the Dream sprites there, or that someone helps you. As well with some basic scripting of "kill mob > get entry to the bestiary and a display text"

Yup, adding some more info would be cool indeed. But it could mess up the bestiary for ppl who prefer the old fonts, so I would be cautious there. It might require adding the scrolling feature...

Yes, flipping pages in a way you sketched, maybe something like this - saving 2 buttons for more mobs on page:
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (229.8 KiB) Viewed 1934 times

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

I have compiled a list of all DF mobs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
There are a lot more than included in the demo.

Also, think it may be better to group the beasts by category (animals, daedra...) 2 categories would have to be split into 2, but I think it's acceptable.
Link to my github here.