[MOD] Faithful 3D Animals

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ninelan

[MOD] Faithful 3D Animals

Post by Ninelan »

Faithful 3D Animals attempts to, as the name suggests, faithfully recreate the static animal billboards as best as it can.
There are some TLC tweaks on animal scaling, with some animals appearing much larger than their sprite form to better fit the world environment, namely the camels.

The animals now animate, however, there may be tweaks down the line as not all animations are perfect, so to say.
For now, I will not mention the small tweaks necessary as 'once you see it you can't unsee'.

More images:
Spoiler!
Get the mod here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/281

Github backup: currently unavailable until it's updated.

Lively 3D animals of Daggerfall -The sister project by l3lessed and me.
Wildlife -John Doom's mod which is compatible.
3D Enemies -John Doom's and mine visually compatible mod.

Wishlist tracker:
1. Minor texture variation.
2. Minor size variation: have the models be randomly made up to 10%? smaller or bigger.
(Added to I3lessed's project)
3. Potentially: Tacked horse for Ralzar's Realistic Wagon. ✔️ -The horse: Image currently implemented in files
Last edited by Ninelan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Shapur

Re: [MOD-wip] Faithful 3D Animals

Post by Shapur »

Good stuff,
could I add these 2 things to the wishlist? (If the engine allows)
1. Minor texture variation. (Some mud in random places, nothing crazy)
2. Minor size variation: have the models be randomly made up to 10%? smaller or bigger.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Yeee. Also. I mean it'd be super nice if it were possible to have variations, at the current state I'm unsure if I'm capable of doing it myself though. Checking up some things here and there I noticed it's probably gonna require scripting.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Yes, I know and kinda doubt it's currently possible, but that's why it's a wishlist.
Link to my github here.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

It is completely possible, and actually not to hard from a scripting point of view compared to what I'm doing with location objects and properties.

Provide me your stuff, and I can do it if I find the time.

It would require the exact thing I'm doing in my minimap mod. You need to grab the location object, pull the flat npcs objects your replacing, then pull the 3d model object you replaced them from, and then simply run all model objects through a for reach loop that randomly creates variations. This would run at city creation time, which may cause a little frame hit on large city loads. However, I'm unsure if you could do this ahead of time and save it to the block, and even if you could, I'm not sure how to yet.

I have a good amount of base code setup for this exact thing already, as I have to do it with buildings and npcs in my minimap mod.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

I'm glad to hear that.
Link to my github here.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

l3lessed wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:33 am It is completely possible, and actually not to hard from a scripting point of view compared to what I'm doing with location objects and properties.

Provide me your stuff, and I can do it if I find the time.

It would require the exact thing I'm doing in my minimap mod. You need to grab the location object, pull the flat npcs objects your replacing, then pull the 3d model object you replaced them from, and then simply run all model objects through a for reach loop that randomly creates variations. This would run at city creation time, which may cause a little frame hit on large city loads. However, I'm unsure if you could do this ahead of time and save it to the block, and even if you could, I'm not sure how to yet.

I have a good amount of base code setup for this exact thing already, as I have to do it with buildings and npcs in my minimap mod.
! I have the full project backed up on GitHub, but also on google drive, whichever method you preffer.
I believe the hit might be most noticeable on Hammerfell towns as they feature way more animals(notably camels and horses behind every corner) than any other city type which might just feature a single instance of a cat, three pigs and two dogs and maybe 3 horses in the entire town.

If this came to fruition it'd be a massive enhancement :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Let me experiment first with just the mod file installed; I may not need your original files at all. If the models are scaled using the billboard as the parent for their vector sizes, this will be real easy. All I have to do is update the billboard vector properties, and it should automatically translate to the models.

If not, it should be a simple GetComponent<> object call to grab the model object and update its vector properties.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

There are no billboards if they are replaced with injected models. If you want to make variations you can add a custom script directly to the prefab, just remember to add the ImportedComponent attribute to the script.

EDIT
I uploaded a very simple script that applies a random scale in a range. Feel free to include it with the mod or use it as a reference for something more advanced.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I got you Lucas. I was wondering if some form of attaching a script would be the better option; thanks for confirming this as the best go to option. I personally have avoided prefabs because of some issues I ran into trying to import some cavnas prefabbed objects for my mods, the minimap mod, but it makes perfect sense to go this route for most uses, like here.

Do we have extra skins for this yet? If we do, I can build on the example script Lucas gave to provide sized and skin variations for these models?