Lively 3D Animals of Daggerfall (Extension Mod)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Lively 3D Animals of Daggerfall (Extension Mod)

Post by l3lessed »

I'm at a point where my extension of Ninelan's very impressive Faithful 3D animals mod needs it's own area.

PURPOSE
The original purpose of this mod was to add a variety of random shapes and textures to the 3d animals to make them look more realistic and immersive. However, as usual with me, feature creep began as Ninelan provided more and more amazing content to work with and design around. Now it has led to a large overhaul deserving of its own area and mod file.

The end goal is to provide fully interactive, roaming, semi-intelligent animals to the world of daggerfall using Ninelans models and animation work as the base for the mod structure and any future animals others provide/want to add on their own.

CURRENT FEATURES TESTED & IN
  • Dynamic Animal Skins: All animals will grab a variety of skins from their dynamic skin array, which is loaded on game launch from the "streaming assets/textures/Lively 3D Animals of Daggerfall" directory.
  • Dynamic Skins User Friendly Loading Feature: All animal skins are stored in the "streaming assets/textures/Lively 3D Animals of Daggerfall" directory and loaded on game launch. This means anyone can edit, add, or remove whatever skins they wish by editing the files in the directories and see it in game on next game launch.
  • Dynamic Animal Behavior: Animals will have behavior states that control their behaviors in a basic way. Currently there are two behavior states in; idle playing idle animations and roaming in an area. I plan to add a number of others including eating, playing, and resting behaviors that are time sensitive.
  • Realistic Movement: Animals will increase their movement speed the further they move up to their max walk/run speed, and then start slowing down when they get close to their destination.
  • Realistic Animation Speeds: Walking and running animation speeds are directly tied to their current movement speed to ensure they remain as realistic as possible and minimize unrealistic looking ice skating/dancing appearances.
  • Dynamic & Blending Animations: Animals have custom animations made for their models and these animations are blended together using unities built in animation object.
  • Mesh Colliders: Models are scanned and added mesh colliders to their models so the animal will have realistic collisions based on the actual shape of the mode.
  • Character Controller: The animals will have a character controller attached and used to ensure they interact properly with the "physical" world of daggerfall. This will also allow me to create ridable 3d horses at some point.
FUTURE FEATURES
  • Possible ridable horses. All parts are in place for it now, the script just needs coded.
  • killable animals.
  • animals that belong to the area and cause criminal complaints of killed.
  • animals that provide some basic loot, like meat and skin.
  • animals you can feed and make your followable pet. Looking at you dogs and cats especially.
CURRENTLY COMPLETED ANIMATALS
  • Horse: 90%
  • Everything Else: 10%
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Ninelan

Re: Lively 3D Animals of Daggerfall (Extension Mod)

Post by Ninelan »

:D Gonna love to see where this goes.
Your work is mind-boggling.

(Ps, updated the dog models with running, + added cats)
For riding, I actually have saddles and bridles already done If you'll need those too.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks, couldn't of done any of it without your base work.

Either way, I think having saddled models added into the variety would be nice, even if I don't get a ridable feature in. Why wouldn't towns people have saddles on their horse?

If need be, I can try to swap out the model at runtime too, like textures, to allow more than two base models.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

l3lessed wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:01 pm Thanks, couldn't of done any of it without your base work.

Either way, I think having saddled models added into the variety would be nice, even if I don't get a ridable feature in. Why wouldn't towns people have saddles on their horse?

If need be, I can try to swap out the model at runtime too, like textures, to allow more than two base models.
Aw bless!
Well, horses don't like being saddled 24/7 xD so it makes sense there wouldn't be many seen with them unless being ridden.
In which case, I do have a special model specifically for the player's horse, but I also have one for the horse that you see unused enemy sprites riding.

I did add the pig (i also noticed i did not add the dogs, they are now back) now.
Only the camel and seagull are now missing.
(I'll also add some colour variants for camels soon)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Oh, the none saddled when not being ridden makes sense.

I spent some time setting up proper controller movement code, so now movement and animations are more natural in ways. Instead of pivoting on an axis when rotating, the horse will now walk in a tiny circle when trying to rotate around. Also, with proper controller movement use, I was able to tie animations to the controllers velocity so the speed is natural and matches movement speed, not distance travelled like before.

This will also allow proper blending from walking to running/trotting animations, as the blending can be tied to the animals velocity like it would be in real life.

I'm going to start moving all this over to the other animals and see if I can get a first release out in next few weeks.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Wow, this is looking amazing,
great work! (both of you)
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks Shapur, glad you both are enjoying my work.

Ninelan, are you going to provide walk animations for all the animals? I was just beginning work on the core, when I noticed the most up to date fbx has no walk animations.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:28 am Thanks Shapur, glad you both are enjoying my work.

Ninelan, are you going to provide walk animations for all the animals? I was just beginning work on the core, when I noticed the most up to date fbx has no walk animations.
That's funny. The models do have that animation, I feared they might have accidentally been deleted but it doesn't look like it in the raw file. When I checked the export, however, either trot/run is gone or walk is gone.
I'll make a general sweep through all models and notify you when I corrected them.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thank you. This work is so impressive.

I think you mentioned fixing this already, but in the version of the horse I have, there is some spots on the model where a vertex may may missing. When it walks, the legs have tiny cracks.

I'll put up a video of whatI mean when I can.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:46 pm Thank you. This work is so impressive.

I think you mentioned fixing this already, but in the version of the horse I have, there is some spots on the model where a vertex may may missing. When it walks, the legs have tiny cracks.

I'll put up a video of whatI mean when I can.
No, thank you! If you have any animation wishes (like looking up and down) just notify me too.

Also, that does look curious. My first guess without seeing is that it might be a weight paint issue.
I have added all the other animals (minus horse(as i need to fix it first) and seagull) I have named them differently so the update is more obvious.