Daggerfall retexture

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
NikitaTheTanner

Re: Daggerfall retexture

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Poberun wrote: I used https://github.com/nagadomi/waifu2x for upscaling original textures, then I used https://github.com/alexjc/neural-doodle with some googled stone-handprinted texture to create underlayer, lighten it up a bit, after that I overlayed upscaled texture over it and finally used waifu2x to upscale it once more :)

P.S. You are doing a great job!
Wow! Both of these are insanely good! Can't imagine how much use we can get from both of them... Need some practice, obviously, but they look really promising!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Luzur wrote:Kinda curious, but im wondering how far we have gotten with the NPC models? both the waking ones and the "info boards" ones.

Lots of great work being done on the houses and walls and stuff, but no real update on the NPC's and monsters.
Hey, you're the one who talks about us over on RPG Codex! Welcome and thanks for talking about DFU! :) (I don't have anything helpful to answer your question with, sorry.)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Luzur wrote:Kinda curious, but im wondering how far we have gotten with the NPC models? both the waking ones and the "info boards" ones.

Lots of great work being done on the houses and walls and stuff, but no real update on the NPC's and monsters.
G'day Luzur, welcome to the forums! :)

I might be wrong (as I work on the core game and don't get involved with mods other than to cheer these folks on) but I'm not sure if any of the regular modders have started tackling mobile NPCs and monsters in a serious way as yet. I'd love to see a repaint of those textures at higher resolution as well, but it might be a while before someone steps up to do that work in a serious way.

I'm fairly confident someone will work on this eventually. I'm constantly surprised at what these guys are doing already considering the mod systems are still young in terms of the project's lifetime.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I actually have been working on an animated one, but am way, way not ready to reveal.

But i have found a program called Spriter that (in the free version) lets you cut up a sprite into component parts, attach bones and do frame by frame animation.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's great to hear jman0war. Your work is of a consistently high quality, and I look forward to seeing it when you're ready to show this off. No pressure, though. :)

Luzur

Post by Luzur »

Jay_H wrote:

Hey, you're the one who talks about us over on RPG Codex! Welcome and thanks for talking about DFU! :) (I don't have anything helpful to answer your question with, sorry.)
Well they are awfully uneducated over there about this project, only me updating them at all. :x
G'day Luzur, welcome to the forums! :)

I might be wrong (as I work on the core game and don't get involved with mods other than to cheer these folks on) but I'm not sure if any of the regular modders have started tackling mobile NPCs and monsters in a serious way as yet. I'd love to see a repaint of those textures at higher resolution as well, but it might be a while before someone steps up to do that work in a serious way.

I'm fairly confident someone will work on this eventually. I'm constantly surprised at what these guys are doing already considering the mod systems are still young in terms of the project's lifetime.
G' day!

Yeah, i have some blurry memories of someone doing some snazzy 3D renderings of some monsters, but ive yet to find any thread about it. would be fun though to get some coolio HD creeps in the dungeons, if i where a better man and a renderer i would try my hand at it, but i was more of a map guy in the projects ive been part of in my years (all died too, as usual...promise me this wont happen Interkarma!)
"Load the muskets"

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

(all died too, as usual...promise me this wont happen Interkarma!)
Well, I am not Interkarma and I can't promise anything, but there is big difference to Daggerfall Unity. Unlike other projects which I wouldn't name, this one is completely open source, anyone can contribute and even take over at some point, if Interkarma loses interest in the project or doesn't have enough time. Now, I hope that wouldn't happen, but you never know, we've seen many things happen to great projects, but given enough passionate people with skill, we'll definitely finish the project sooner or later.

That's a big thing actually and I am really thankful to Gavin for it. It's the most reasonable thing to do on a project of such scale, since you never know how much work you'll be able to contribute tomorrow. Still, I would love Gavin to continue his work and see the results of it once the project reaches 1.0 and mods start getting more and more complex! :D Even now we can see some astonishing things done for Daggerfall.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Luzur wrote:(all died too, as usual...promise me this wont happen Interkarma!)
Nikita has already answered this as well as I could. I promise I'll do my best to keep this one alive. At some point, that might actually mean turning it over completely to the community rather than holding the reins indefinitely. :)

The openness of this project is its best feature, I think. And reinforcing that openness with a positive and constructive community. Even if something happens to me (and believe me, I sincerely hope it doesn't) I think the project is far enough along now the considerable talent floating around its gene pool already could probably bring it completion.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Poberun, can u explain me how to use those two programs you used? I downloaded it from git hub, but it doesnt have any exectutable and thus Im unable to do anything with it. Thanks :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok guys, Im back at the rexturing work as I have some spare time. I did some NPC tests, upscaling etc, and now I returned to retouch what I did the last time with textures.

I filtered all the textures I did previously, they have been too sharp and too photorealistic. And I have some results I love! Not sure if the screens can capture that, but now everything fits together in a way you just want to eat your monitor out. I utilized oil painting filter, but very decent and specific way. I resized the banners using waifu2x, than oilify, and than place canvas bumpmap texture over it.

This is Daggerfall castle now, trilinear filtering, antialiasing, dithering and thats it, everything feels so smooth and natural now, but that must be seen on your own ingame in movement Im affraid, anyway:

DAGGERFALL Throne Room:
Tapestry.jpg
Tapestry.jpg (516.9 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Dag 1.jpg
Dag 1.jpg (453.03 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
DAGGER 2.jpg
DAGGER 2.jpg (423.1 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.