Robert's Male Body

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
NikitaTheTanner

Robert's Male Body

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/ ... 0532&pUp=1

I know many people are probably familiar with this mod for Oblivion. It replaces default body meshes and textures to more detailed ones and comes in many versions. What is also interesting about it - it's an open modder's resource which can be ported to any game as long as you are not making profit from selling these models.
Everything can be used freely without any conditions as long as it's not for commercial use. Asking for permission isn't required.
I think these models and textures look great. What is more important, I think we can use them as a base for our 3D characters. They have nice proportions, many sizes, and with minor adjustments will make great base for us to work with. Resources also contain head meshes, some animations, etc.

Now I am not in expert in rigging and animating, that still is going to be very tough I am sure. But we do have a lot of resources available to us and I think we should use them, especially since some are explicitly permitted to be used by the author. I've seen ports of these models in Morrowind, Fallout and a few times even in some side projects.

It definitely can be a great start for designing characters, plus it might grab attention of people who are still designing clothes and armor for this mod and increase our community even further. Would love to see somebody try and utilize them in Daggerfall.

VMblast

Re: Robert's Male Body

Post by VMblast »

This is really good model. However I think its too realistic looking. Texture can be tweaked a little bit and hand paint some touch ups, however the 3D model itself is too realistic, which is great for that kind of a game. At least my personal view is that DF is and should be stylized, vast open world, proceduraly generated video game. :P

NikitaTheTanner

Here is a screenshot from Morrowind:

I don't know, it looks quite stylized to me. Not cartoonish, but not too photo realistic at the same time. Again, textures would make them even closer to Daggerfall style.

Compare it original Daggerfall models:

I think it might work, if we give it a try. I might be wrong and if somebody comes up with more appopriate models, I would certainly be glad.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@NikitaTheTanner
Yeah if you look at that way, they are better than originals ofc. However they are made in conjunction with normal map tech, which gives another level of dept and it can look pretty bad if you dont know what you are doing.

Based on the original DF my view for the level of stylization would be something along these lines.

Anw, those models you've mentioned should be sufficient to experiment upon. Their diffuse textures should be tweaked, brushed up and combined with channels from normal map. So it could be possible to make something out of those models. Its worth of pursuing the idea. ;)

NikitaTheTanner

I agree with you. The level of quality and overall look on the models you are showing is great! The style is not 100% match, but I could see some of the stuff like this in the game, though I prefer realistic designs where possible (realistic in functional design, for clothes, armor, weapons, but stylized in presentation). Original Daggerfall did it pretty well, for the most part. I understand that these are just examples :)

I am not good with either models or textures, have only the most basic knowledge and skills in both, but I really want to help convert Daggerfall to 3D. Not only it would look amazing, but it would open so many gameplay modifications possibilities as well! So I'll be on the lookout for things that can be useful, just in case.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Yep, working with full 3D is headache if you are working alone. It would be great if this project would skim a little bit of -resources- (*cough* ppl), from the Skyblivion/Skywind AKA https://tesrenewal.com/. They claim that they are TES renewal society, but no one is mentioning Daggerfall there.

This project link should be placed on their website as well. People dont know that DF unity exists. :(

NikitaTheTanner

It just so happens that TES community is very large, yet very fragmented. TES Renewal are the most famous and perhaps among the most well-equipped groups, full of professional artists, but there are so many talented people in the community - it is crazy!

Biggest obstacle to sharing assets between game mods like these - they often would use at least some resources from the game they create models and textures for, and that would mean you can't just port everything. You often do not know what can be ported and what not.

Another problem might be permissions. While most people gladly share their work, some don't and if the person leaves modding for good, it can be hard to get in contact with them for their permission. Looking for modders' resources in particular might be a good idea, since they are often free to use and often tell you if the assets can be ported to other games or not. Porting might actually be quite challenging, since later TES games use .nif files for their meshes and they are different for each game.

Another great resource of assets - Witcher games. All the assets from Witcher 1, 2 and 3 are free to use in mods, as long as they are not commercial! So many great mods came out for Skyrim, Oblivion and even some for Morrowind, that used assets from the Witcher games. Though I am not sure how easy it is extract them, but there are tools for that as far as I know.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:It just so happens that TES community is very large, yet very fragmented. TES Renewal are the most famous and perhaps among the most well-equipped groups, full of professional artists, but there are so many talented people in the community - it is crazy!

Biggest obstacle to sharing assets between game mods like these - they often would use at least some resources from the game they create models and textures for, and that would mean you can't just port everything. You often do not know what can be ported and what not.

Another problem might be permissions. While most people gladly share their work, some don't and if the person leaves modding for good, it can be hard to get in contact with them for their permission. Looking for modders' resources in particular might be a good idea, since they are often free to use and often tell you if the assets can be ported to other games or not. Porting might actually be quite challenging, since later TES games use .nif files for their meshes and they are different for each game.

Another great resource of assets - Witcher games. All the assets from Witcher 1, 2 and 3 are free to use in mods, as long as they are not commercial! So many great mods came out for Skyrim, Oblivion and even some for Morrowind, that used assets from the Witcher games. Though I am not sure how easy it is extract them, but there are tools for that as far as I know.
I see. Hah, I didnt know that TES comunity could be so shortsighted. So, if the models (assets) cant be shared with all the other TES project, they won't do it? Gee, and as, you've mentioned that there are many of the professional artist working on them?...c, c, c....

Yeah, its great that you can extract and use Witcher games assets, however, they maybe good for the Sky mods as they are inherently realistic. For the Daggerfall I dot know...maybe some asset elements like, tables, chairs....that sort of things. Characters are just too realistic in W2 & W3 for example.