Modern Interface

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: Modern Interface

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: At this time, I'd accept a PR for the enhanced tooltips (should default to current setup with detailed tooltips being an INI option).
Just so you know I was thinking of implementing a QoL improvement as I'm working on the inventory window. The idea is to activate info popups on a right mouse click (rather than having to switch to info mode and move back & left click) to give quicker access to the more detailed info.

I'm not keen on large tooltips because it can get really annoying as they end up obscuring the stuff you're trying to click on etc.

thoughts?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Dimillian wrote:Instead of selecting your action then clicking an item, I'll switch it to clicking an item and then choose what you want to do with it. With a select menu of some sort. Like "Equip, into, drop" etc...
Hazelnut wrote:I have been mulling over a couple of QoL improvements for the vanilla inv interface, but there's so much to do before getting to them. I will consider any that are discussed.
I'd like to see right-click to equip/use and shift+right click to remove. Cleaner, faster and possibly easier to implement than a selection menu. Are there any items that can be either equipped or used?

Anyway, I love to see any progress on UI. Being able to display more than 4 items at a time is an essential improvement in my opinion :)

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I'm not keen on large tooltips because it can get really annoying as they end up obscuring the stuff you're trying to click on etc.

thoughts?
I think tooltips should be semi-transparent for one, so they don't block the view too much. Second, make them disappear after mouse cursor moves a little. That way they shouldn't really affect functionality, I think.

I personally wouldn't mind info poping up on mouseover though, without right clicking. Something like, if you hold mouse over an item for 1 second, a pop up appears. 1 second is not too long, even if you are impatient, but it would prevent pop ups appearing randomly if you just move mouse over items. It can also have a pop up animation, like fading in, but would disappear almost instantly. Mouseover also feels intuitive IMO, like in online stores, you will often get more info on mouseover. If it's done right, it shouldn't interfere with functionality too much.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote:
Interkarma wrote: At this time, I'd accept a PR for the enhanced tooltips (should default to current setup with detailed tooltips being an INI option).
Just so you know I was thinking of implementing a QoL improvement as I'm working on the inventory window. The idea is to activate info popups on a right mouse click (rather than having to switch to info mode and move back & left click) to give quicker access to the more detailed info.

thoughts?
That sounds OK to me, as long as the classic behaviour and appearance is unchanged. Right-click currently has no distinct function in the inventory window, so this falls in line with a light-touch horizontal improvement.

Thanks for making a start on refactoring inventory UI for shops, etc. That was in my sights for around 0.6, will be happy to have the work sooner. :)

Yep, larger tooltips would have to be an option. I played with this early on and preferred the simple item name. Happy to have it as an INI option though, particularly now the item stats are working.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

AlexanderSig wrote:
Hazelnut wrote:I have been mulling over a couple of QoL improvements for the vanilla inv interface, but there's so much to do before getting to them. I will consider any that are discussed.
I'd like to see right-click to equip/use and shift+right click to remove. Cleaner, faster and possibly easier to implement than a selection menu. Are there any items that can be either equipped or used?
The problem with those suggestions is consistency. Not all of the inventory base screens have equip/use actions. (e.g. buy/sell) So if player is used to that from main inv window (most used one) it may be an issue when that doesn't work on a different window.
AlexanderSig wrote: Anyway, I love to see any progress on UI. Being able to display more than 4 items at a time is an essential improvement in my opinion :)
I also have plans to add an advanced inventory mode which displays 16 items per list in classic style as an option. Should be pretty easy and will work with all existing functionality since it's mostly a display enhancement. Feel like the vanilla functionality should be done first though. (which I am working on :))

I should probably also mention I implemented a QoL enhancement when using the cart when selling etc. You select the cart or carried items and both are filtered by the item type tabs at the top of the screen. Quite useful if you're looking for a shirt among the million armour & weapons every adventurer needs to keep around to sell in a general store. Also it was just really easy to do code-wise. 8-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:

thoughts?
I think tooltips should be semi-transparent for one, so they don't block the view too much. Second, make them disappear after mouse cursor moves a little. That way they shouldn't really affect functionality, I think.

I personally wouldn't mind info poping up on mouseover though, without right clicking. Something like, if you hold mouse over an item for 1 second, a pop up appears. 1 second is not too long, even if you are impatient, but it would prevent pop ups appearing randomly if you just move mouse over items. It can also have a pop up animation, like fading in, but would disappear almost instantly. Mouseover also feels intuitive IMO, like in online stores, you will often get more info on mouseover. If it's done right, it shouldn't interfere with functionality too much.
Still hate em like that becuase i tend to move my mouse pointer to where I'm focussing on the screen. I have cursed many a display which over-tooltipped. Obviously this is just my personal preference... if it were added I wouldn't have to use it.

NikitaTheTanner

I've seen it done good and bad, it can work both ways :) Sometimes you just hate it, other times it works like magic, depends on how well the interface is adjusted and tested. It can be smooth as butter or clunky as all hell :evil:

In the end, I am not too opposed to right clicking for info, just not sure if it's necessary, plus will actually take more effort than mouseover. I think many games actually use mouseover rather well and it doesn't obscure inventory too much.

Think about Diablo, for example. Items are in a small grid, there is often a lot of info on items, it displays almost instantly, but it never really affects functionality too much, at least not in my experience. I am talking I-II, not sure about III.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Adding right click for info will be only a few lines of code, so definitely not more work. :D

(unless you meant effort from user, in which case :oops: )

NikitaTheTanner

(unless you meant effort from user, in which case :oops: )
Yeah, from the user :) Not by much, but still, if you want to read a few items info, you'll need to click them all one by one.

Try both ways, and see how it works. Even just right clicking would be an improvement and it's certainly easier to implement from development standpoint, so start with it, but if you'll have time and feel the need yourself, try another approach. A fine tuned mouseover I feel would be superior in a long run.

Dimillian

Post by Dimillian »

I'm gonna implement the detailled tooltip fully as an option in the .ini. So will make everyone (especially me) happy :p
It's kinda essential I think in a modern UX to not have to click an item to have some basics info. So you can make very quick decision on what to loot, equip, sell etc...