Modern Interface

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Jay_H

Re: Modern Interface

Post by Jay_H »

Another good improvement. It's stuff like this I don't realize Daggerfall needs until I see it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Cheers, glad you think so. You don't think the text is too small or anything?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Great work indeed. :)

- The text is somewhat small, but I think it's ok, I suppose one can still use the "INFO" button to have a better look if needed.
- Ideal approach (in my opinion) would be to rework the GUI to make/create a larger space for the info-box, but I am not sure whether the background texture is available... I mean without the division into buttons and stuff... I hope you know what I mean.

Question:
- How does the info box cope with longer item names?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

ifkopifko wrote:Great work indeed. :)

- The text is somewhat small, but I think it's ok, I suppose one can still use the "INFO" button to have a better look if needed.
- Ideal approach (in my opinion) would be to rework the GUI to make/create a larger space for the info-box, but I am not sure whether the background texture is available... I mean without the division into buttons and stuff... I hope you know what I mean.

Question:
- How does the info box cope with longer item names?
Thanks. Reworking the GUI is out of scope for the core DFU codebase, and the inventory window as a whole has a image taken direct from the data files. What I'm trying to do is quality of life upgrades which fit within the original game easily. At some point in the future we may have custom GUI screens like Dimillan is thinking of which are complete replacements.

The next QoL improvement I plan to do is to increase the number of items shown from 4 to 16 - I think it's possible.

If the item has a longer name it wraps, so some books take three lines. That's what I spent several hours getting right last night. And yes the info button is there for a closer look. Also for magic items and potion recipes the info button gives a second page of info.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice job - original inventory is very user unfriendly, these new stats you have added are really needed and ofc it fits the vanilla style so 10/10 from me, thanks! Im looking forward to the future versions as well

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I agree that the text is a bit small. It's better than not being there, certainly. I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what could be cut or altered to increase the text, but I can't think of any way to improve it.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

@Hazelnut
I never thought I woulda said it.
But I like it.
The bag is a nice touch, and the letters aren't gonna be that small on a 42" monitor. ;)
I gotta say "I'm sold on a new GUI" :lol:
This community is awesome !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

maybe infobox textcolor could be the standard-yellowish color. might be a bit better to read on the gray background

I like what you did with this inventory window ;)

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Nystul wrote:maybe infobox textcolor could be the standard-yellowish color. might be a bit better to read on the gray background

I like what you did with this inventory window ;)
I agree, to compensate for the text being small it should be made a colour that is easier to read

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I take your point guys, but I was intending non-classic info to be a different colour. Anyway I'm trying many permutations and will upload a screen when I think I have something satisfactory. Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. (yes, even if I ignore it :D )