NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Post by King of Worms »

Bloodinfested wrote:Wow tried the main menu page in game it does look so much better are you working on new game page textures the map could use some love? nice work King :D

Prison is PRIS0010.IMG
Thanks!! Yes the main page is grandiose! The best upscaling result of mine, Its just perfect, my jaw dropped when I saw it. What resolution is your monitor? Because if it isnt 1920x1200 you havent seen the best result yet. As Ive said, the ingame scaling is far from perfect...

Yes I will try other screens as well, I can do the low detail map, there is good improvement. Thats the map you see when you click a region on a high detail map. That high detail overall map is hard to upscale, but I saw nice redraws of it...

Time will tell, Im gonna experiment some more. Tell me your screen res I can create a pixel perfect version for u if you want.

Bloodinfested

Post by Bloodinfested »

Actually I have my PC hooked up to a 65inch TV most of my games are set for 1920x1080 and 1786x992 even though the tv allows 3840x2160. I play in lower res mainly because the up scaling of text and UI elements.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Oooo I wannit :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I experiment with menu/map now...
MAPS.jpg
MAPS.jpg (530.98 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
Midnight, whats your exact game resolution?

Midknightprince

1080p :D
That werewolf is awesome btw

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This is still mostly testing, takes a buckloads of time and gives little results, but once I find the ideal settings and methods, it will go FAST.

Today I found out that I get very nice results on some images using XBR 3x <No Blend> 2x upscaling method. This can give great results on "Props" or more generally speaking, on every image which has rough low res edgy outline and is not a NPC character. So this is what this method does:
Hell yes.jpg
Hell yes.jpg (843.45 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
Its always about using the right method, these upscaling engines are not universal, but as we already saw, if right method and settings is applied to the specific image, we get results like a new main menu (waifu 2x 2D-ilust RGB model with correct denoise settings), dead/prison/court screens (waifu 2x photography, anime with correct settings) or this XBR3x upscalled props! And I made sure to know what method to use in which scenario... still theres a lot to learn, because...

There are cca 80 methods of upscaling :)

Some work even only on one specific picture and not on another one which looks similar, its still only algorhytm. For example if u look closely on the new map screen, you can see that the yellow arrows are upscaled nicely, yet the background behind them is still pixelated as in original. That is what I wanted, as upscaling those pixelated backgrounds always gives bad results. But the arrows and background are one single image... so this was achieved with "adv interpolation 2x 2" used on that specific image. (dont mind that low res red-wire perspective mesh, that was not upscaled at the time of taking that screenshot)

Anyway, upscalling is a powerful tool if used right. Lets hope this will lead us even further... if my free time allows it :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

tree.png
tree.png (244.72 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

Midknightprince

That grass thing has needed some love for a looooong time.
Thats going to be freaking crazy :lol:
I seriously can't wait to check that out in-game

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Wow! it all looks really good, but the menus in particular look amazing!
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks guys!

I also experimented with upscaling the dungeon and city textures, unfortunatelly, my method screws up the seamless textures, that means than you can see where the texture connects to another one :/ But I might be able to solve it. Would be worth a while as those resized textures looked great and so vanilla like...

Back to work, last few days of illness
Last edited by King of Worms on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.