Horseback Riding Additions

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
LorrMaster42

Horseback Riding Additions

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Made some additions to the PlayerMotor script to allow for holding the sprint key while on horseback to go into a canter, which will make the horse go faster and jump higher. Also made the horse animation play slower while cantering and made it use the horseback walking audio, which sounds perfect even though it's a little quiet.

Midknightprince

Re: Horseback Riding Additions

Post by Midknightprince »

Freaking awesome !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice!! And useful. We need to be able to move faster if we want to cross the vast distances and not use travel map all the time.

Idea: Would it be possible to implement a slight head-bob while cantering? Maybe it could look good. Also, I guess I can make a dedicated canter sound, IF its possible to use it easily enough?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this nice addition :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is very good! Are you considering send a pull request for this one? :)

While cantering technically isn't part of classic, purists can ignore it by simply not pressing the sprint key while riding. This fits my definition of horizontal improvement that adds quality of life without substantially changing the base game experience.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

This is a thing I always knew I wanted, from the first time I pressed the run key in Daggerfall and the horse didn't run.

Thanks. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

I'll definatly send a pull request when I'm done. Hopefully I didn't break anything along the way while tinkering with this.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Well I may be the minority opinion here, but I'd prefer this not be merged into the code base. To me the linked YouTube video doesn't look that good. IMO the horse is moving too fast, and the quiet sound (it's normally used when you move slowly with the sneak key) is a little odd, too.
We need to be able to move faster if we want to cross the vast distances and not use travel map all the time.
We can move faster with the console. I can understand, though, wanting a more convenient key that can be pushed and released whenever you want a burst of speed. We could add that as a cheat/development key.

If the goal is more about having enhanced horseriding, I would personally personally prefer to see (as an optional mod) less of a speed boost, maybe even the "faster" speed being what is the normal speed now, with the horse head bobbing up and down as the horse leaves and connects with the ground, and a more "galloping" sound.
While cantering technically isn't part of classic, purists can ignore it by simply not pressing the sprint key while riding. This fits my definition of horizontal improvement that adds quality of life without substantially changing the base game experience.
Well it's ultimately your decision, but IMO this falls a little outside the bounds of a quality-of-life improvement.

Basically, I'm a little apprehensive about this because it's adding to PlayerMotor.cs, one of the base files, with a mod that (right now, at least) doesn't really appeal to me that much, and I don't want to have to worry about breaking it when I work with the player motor.

It would be great if we could somehow have gameplay mods that don't require merging into the main source, that could be laid on top and used that way, like mods in the later Elder Scrolls games, with responsibility for maintaining them being with the mod author or volunteers.

If everyone but me wants this merged in, I guess I'll just accept it, but I'd prefer we could somehow find some other solution for gameplay mods other than merging them into the source (other than QoL and bug fixes, changes to make things work as they were probably intended in classic). Maybe there is some standard out there for mod support on Unity we can use.

Anyway I don't want to be a buzzkill. I think it's great if we can get gameplay mods going. And a horse sprinting mod could be cool.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

R.D. wrote:Well I may be the minority opinion here, but I'd prefer this not be merged into the code base. To me the linked YouTube video doesn't look that good. IMO the horse is moving too fast, and the quiet sound (it's normally used when you move slowly with the sneak key) is a little odd, too.
I appreciate the feedback, thank you. Good point on the normal use of the sound effect, that could get confusing.

R.D. wrote: Well it's ultimately your decision, but IMO this falls a little outside the bounds of a quality-of-life improvement.

Basically, I'm a little apprehensive about this because it's adding to PlayerMotor.cs, one of the base files, with a mod that (right now, at least) doesn't really appeal to me that much, and I don't want to have to worry about breaking it when I work with the player motor.

It would be great if we could somehow have gameplay mods that don't require merging into the main source, that could be laid on top and used that way, like mods in the later Elder Scrolls games, with responsibility for maintaining them being with the mod author or volunteers.

If everyone but me wants this merged in, I guess I'll just accept it, but I'd prefer we could somehow find some other solution for gameplay mods other than merging them into the source (other than QoL and bug fixes, changes to make things work as they were probably intended in classic). Maybe there is some standard out there for mod support on Unity we can use.

Anyway I don't want to be a buzzkill. I think it's great if we can get gameplay mods going. And a horse sprinting mod could be cool.
No problems at all! I think this kind of conversation is very healthy and productive.

Perhaps all that's needed here is a few hooks into PlayerMotor for movement mods of this nature. Then it does not need to be merged into core and the work can still be enjoyed by people who wish to use it.

I already have a rolling re-factor of PlayerMotor in mind for 0.5. I actually started work on this a while ago and abandoned it in preference for getting 0.4 locked down first. If LorrMaster42 is able to share his code (either a gist or link to a branch on git will do), I can provide any hooks needed for this to become a standalone PlayerMotor mod as part of my refactor process. :)

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Perhaps all that's needed here is a few hooks into PlayerMotor for movement mods of this nature. Then it does not need to be merged into core and the work can still be enjoyed by people who wish to use it.
Thanks for your response. I don't know enough to really suggest anything in detail, but if you think that' s a good idea, maybe we can go with that.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'd agree that since PlayerMotor needs to be re-written, that providing mod-hooks is a good idea and this horseriding mod could really help develop & prove that. I was holding off on any of the enhancements I had in mind to horseriding until PlayerMotor was redone. Things like being able to strafe and ride backwards using the wagon seem a little silly even though they're in classic. :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods