Daggerfall Midi Remastered

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ravenborn

Daggerfall Midi Remastered

Post by Ravenborn »

I've begun remastering the midis with Fruity Loops and rendering them to OGGs. I'll release a sound pack that will hopefully be easily implemented when finished. Currently I have 7 songs remastered and placed on youtube for your perusal. I'm not a composer in the least, so I apologize if they aren't remixes.

The full playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tusrZFL ... -M&index=1
Last edited by Ravenborn on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Daggerfall Midi Remastered

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Most of these sound pretty good. I particularly like the dungeon themes, and would use those in-game without a second thought!

Hopefully in the future we get support for custom sound fonts similar to what ZDoom and its variants have.
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I have zero clue what Fruity Loops are about but I liked what I hear.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I also don't know what these have to do with American breakfast cereal, but... I like. Nice work.

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Tracks 9-16 now done and added to the playlist!
:D

Fruit Loops is also known as FL Studio. It's a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that you can throw a midi into, assign soundfonts and effects to different tracks and then render an MP3 or OGG.

https://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

LOL, I literally just posted a thread about this last night before I went to sleep. Glad to see someone's trying to remaster the music, not that the included soundfont in Unity is horrible or anything. (compared to straight up general midi off an SB16 anyways) but it would be nice to hear something a little better than the built-in and other available soundfonts.

There are also some pretty well done acoustic samples out there in SFZ format, for example the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra sfz sets. But they're very large with individual files for different instrument articulations and dynamics. SFZ format is basically just a glorified soundfont, but a bit more robust than the SF2 format was. IIRC. But you need a player that can load in SFZ format files (like the free version of Camel's Alchemy, Alchemy Player or Plogue's SForzando) to use it on a track in the DAW.

Near the end of high school, I got my first midi-capable keyboard, which was a Yamaha PSR-520 (a home keyboard that was basically a rompler). I had a midi converter cable and connected it to the computer through the joystick port, and usually had games (e.g. Daggerfall, World of Xeen, Realms of the Haunted, etc.) set up to send midi out and use the keyboard as a glorified soundfont. It was about SNES quality in terms of sounds. These days, I have a Roland VR-09 clonewheel keyboard that I use with the band, but it also has an internal GM bank that can be accessed. I don' t know how good the bank is since I haven't used it (I use the more immediately accessible banks for playing live).

So, that's somewhat how I remember the classic Daggerfall music as far as my nostalgia goes. Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, so I'll take a look at these when I get a chance!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Who cares about large files? I would gladly spend gigabytes of space to have a Daggerfall Unity sounding really awesome. After all, Daggerfall's is my favorite video game soundtrack, and I have played hundreds of games...

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 pm Who cares about large files? I would gladly spend gigabytes of space to have a Daggerfall Unity sounding really awesome. After all, Daggerfall's is my favorite video game soundtrack, and I have played hundreds of games...
My sentiments exactly. :D

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Heh, I'm not too worried about it then. ;) Anyway, as I mentioned in the other thread, options are good, and this will take me some time to do. But I'll try to put up some examples somewhere as I make progress. Probably on my soundcloud, which I'll post a link once I have something worth showcasing.

Until then, keep up the good work!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

All these endeavors are greatly appretiated! And as it was stated above, size doesnt matter ;)