3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
concarne

3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Post by concarne »

Hello all

I apologise if I have come across as rude for not being here enough, I love DFU, the team and the community behind it. I thought I'd just give an outline on what I attempt to do.

I would like to start by saying I am not extremely proficient at this kind of thing but have been programming as a hobby for close to 10 years now, so if someone else who is more experienced is looking to do what I am, I would be happy to step aside and maybe help where I can.

My goal is to create a system to replace the billboards with skinned 3D models for the humanoids in the game.

How it works :

For foes -
On Interior/Exterior transition it searches for SetupDemoEnemy monobehavior within the associated parent Game Object.
Conceals the billboard and loads in a prefab naked male/female skinned model.
Dresses the model based on a lookup table depending on the type of foe
* To do - research how to detect spawned foes

For wandering npc
Really rudimentary interval check to see the PopulationPool count
Conceals the billboard and loads in a prefab naked male/female skinned model.
Dresses model with random NPC clothes (Will end up using player clothes I think)

Base models will be unchangeable in my mod unfortunately, It just ends up being sooo much easier this way, and easier for players with compatibility.

Clothing/Armor will be fetched at runtime. It will search for a 3D model of a certain name in a certain folder (Format unknown as of yet), if found it will load that and then see if it skinned, if not it will try to automatically skin the model, it will also check for blendshapes, and automatically try to apply blendshapes from the base model too. Failing finding a model it will load a fallback model from the AssetBundle supplied with mod. It will then look for external textures before loading in the fallback textures.

I have created a Paperdoll Renderer that can also replace the inventory screen paperdoll, but that is in its *very* early stages. I imagine capturing the clicks on clothing/armor would be a crazy system in itself so the 3D model would probably mimic the pose of the 2D Paperdoll.

Viewmodel is a to do, I had done a simple rendertexture with adjustable resolution to match vanilla but have done nothing since then.

Blendshapes will be made for character customization and NPC variety.

Some help I need -

Where is a good place for the external 3D models to be loaded from? Sub-folder under Mods would be a bad idea and would slow down initialization hey? Should I just use a new folder in StreamingAssets? It would be good to know if another mod has somewhere to load external data from for congruity.

Models models models. If you are a 3D modeler/texturer - the more models I can get for the fallbacks the quicker this mod can get to a point to release.

If possible to point me to an open source fbx exporter/importer with skins and blendshapes. Without this modelers wont be able to fix up their own skins for complex clothes i.e. robes, elaborate armor.

Any help and feedback much appreciated!

Finally here's a little update showing some foes (albeit with bad clothes and missing animations & weapons)
https://streamable.com/s/f9vu1/vgrvao

Ommamar

Re: 3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm going to guess it's the same person :lol:

Excellent work. This is a huge request from a lot of people, and has been for a long time. Doesn't matter that it doesn't look perfect; a step in this direction, I think, is going to be very encouraging for a lot of people.

concarne

Post by concarne »

Ommamar wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 am Well I saw this so maybe contacting the person can give you a starting point.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2702
Yep that is me haha I'm can never think of a good name to use so I end up picking something new :oops:

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

concarne wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:19 am
Ommamar wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 am Well I saw this so maybe contacting the person can give you a starting point.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2702
Yep that is me haha I'm can never think of a good name to use so I end up picking something new :oops:
I thought it might be but since it was a different user name I took a chance.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

That's what I was always saying - it's the only reasonable way to go forward, if we want to have flexibility, like in newer TES games... The models look really dope, hope this gets some traction :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Are you planning on making a 3d weapon model replacer? and if so, how soon? Your development will impact my combat mod. Would be nice if I can develop around it, if needed.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Is 3D modelling automated right now?
I think, modern neural networks can easily generate a 3D model from a set of sprites.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Well go get at it then. There is already a thread discussing this. I started it when I began working on the combat scripts. For how easy everyone, including me, thought it is, it sure seems hard to get anyone to produce the models, animations, or new 2d sprites.

If anyone is working on replacing first person weapons, please let me know. I'm already breaking a part and redoing this for my combat mod.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm Well go get at it then. There is already a thread discussing this. I started it when I began working on the combat scripts. For how easy everyone, including me, thought it is, it sure seems hard to get anyone to produce the models, animations, or new 2d sprites.

If anyone is working on replacing first person weapons, please let me know. I'm already breaking a part and redoing this for my combat mod.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554
Im doing the 1st person weapons replacement:) in fact, its ready