Adding condition based prices as an Advanced Setting / QOL

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Ralzar

Adding condition based prices as an Advanced Setting / QOL

Post by Ralzar »

Hi

So, for some time I've been wanting to do a mod to fix the economy of Daggerfall. One of the big hurdles to this at the moment is this:

public static int CalculateTradePrice(int cost, int shopQuality, bool selling)

The formula has the override function which makes it easy to mod, but hard when it does not take the sold items current condition into account.

Compare this to:

public static int CalculateItemRepairCost(int baseItemValue, int shopQuality, int condition, int max, IGuild guild)

Would it be possible to add "int condition" as a value to CalculateTradePrice as well?
Possibly while adding it as an advanced option to DFU? It is really odd that the game only adjusts repair price based on item condition but merchant see no difference between a brand new item and a broken one.

Hazelnut

Re: Adding condition based prices as an Advanced Setting / QOL

Post by Hazelnut »

I've been thinking about this since we discussed on discord. Will experiment when I have time, but do I think these formula methods could be made more general relatively easily.

Another module for loot realism I reckon. :)

And it's not 'odd' at all, DFU is recreating Daggerfall and this is how classic worked so the formula only had what was required to implement that.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:26 pm And it's not 'odd' at all, DFU is recreating Daggerfall and this is how classic worked so the formula only had what was required to implement that.
Heh, it's not "odd" that DFU does it. It's "odd" that Daggerfall did it :D

And yeah, I was thinking this could probably be a nice addition to LootRealism. Once that is in, there would be a point to start looking at giving dropped loot a random condition instead of everything being brand new.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah that's the other side of the equation. I assume this is only relevant for armor and weapons. Possibly books too. Don't see any point in doing clothes since they cost so little anyway, and other items like ingredients, gems etc is not really applicable.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This will be a nice combination with your increased armor damage and my armor rusting :D