Creating a curated mod collection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
haloterm

Creating a curated mod collection

Post by haloterm »

I have just published an excited article about Daggerfall Unity on the GameStar website (German, https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/warum-d ... 75893.html ) and also mentioned several mods.

In one comment below my article, a reader asks for some kind of easily installable mod package, so it is not necessary to select and download all mods individually.

I know that Vortex mod manager can help with that a bit, but I think it is Windows only (?), and I am now thinking of a more curated approach -- a regularly updated and consistent mod selection in one download package, of course only with the consent of the original developers and full credit.

What do you think?

I would offer to be the curator of such a package - who would agree to be included?

John Doom

Re: Creating a curated mod collection

Post by John Doom »

I personally install mods based on my preferences. I don't think there's one perfect build. For example the mod D.R.E.A.M. is good for HD, but I like playing with retro graphics, I installed Trees for Daggerfalls, but not Realistic Grass, and so on... it's all about the player's tastes :?:

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Mod packs are a good way to promote mods to more casual users. Even though I'm one of the less casual users that strictly curates their own mod loadout.
At least so has been proved through Minecraft at least where certain modpacks tend to overtake a community like a storm.

Getting them on Nexus, however, has been an uphill battle.

I doubt such notoriety will happen with Daggerfall, but I think it would be nice to not make a single curated mod list but a few that cater to different experiences.

Like John Doom hinted at with the HD and classic/retro graphics.
You could have something that keeps everything Vanilla +, a modpack that pushes Daggerfall visually to it's limits, or a modpack catered around gameplay.
There's plenty of options.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

John Doom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:24 pm I personally install mods based on my preferences. I don't think there's one perfect build. For example the mod D.R.E.A.M. is good for HD, but I like playing with retro graphics, I installed Trees for Daggerfalls, but not Realistic Grass, and so on... it's all about the player's tastes :?:
Sure, in general I agree, but I can see why others don't want to think and configure much, but just play. It is mainly the download convenience - one could always switch off unwanted mods or add additional ones.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ninelan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:43 pm Mod packs are a good way to promote mods to more casual users. Even though I'm one of the less casual users that strictly curates their own mod loadout.
At least so has been proved through Minecraft at least where certain modpacks tend to overtake a community like a storm.

Getting them on Nexus, however, has been an uphill battle.

I doubt such notoriety will happen with Daggerfall, but I think it would be nice to not make a single curated mod list but a few that cater to different experiences.

Like John Doom hinted at with the HD and classic/retro graphics.
You could have something that keeps everything Vanilla +, a modpack that pushes Daggerfall visually to it's limits, or a modpack catered around gameplay.
There's plenty of options.
I thought about maybe two, max, three options, but mostly for gameplay, and only smaller graphics mods. I would exclude DREAM, because it is such a massive mod by itself.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Nexus is actually working on offering something like this. I got a notification a little while back asking for testers.

Just having a package for download will have some unfortunate consequences. Mod creators will lose out on download numbers which is directly translated to point on Nexus that can be used to buy stuff.
Also as a mod creator it will be really annoying to update a mod and then have to wait for someone to update it in a package you have no access to.

At the moment, my modlist post is the closest we have to something like this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3870

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:14 pm Mod creators will lose out on download numbers which is directly translated to point on Nexus that can be used to buy stuff.
Also as a mod creator it will be really annoying to update a mod and then have to wait for someone to update it in a package you have no access to.
Good points.

Of course only mods whose creators agreed could be included. So the possibility of this effort depends on modders willingness to contribute. I fully understand if they won't. But to find that out, I opened this thread :)

The next best thing is then indeed a list like your's. (Or several lists, depending on preferences.)

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Sadly Nexus is severely lagging behind what other modding sites offer.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

As a mod collection as a separate download would have the issues pointed out by Ralzar (1. circumventing Nexus' "point" currency; 2. having mod creators to fear or wait if or when their updates are included in the package) -- I want to ask in another way for ideas:

Which OS - independent possibilities exist for users who do not want to care about individual mods, but have a simple "install and forget" solution?

Are there any tools which can automate downloads from Nexus and work also on Linux and macOS? So one could put a list of desired mods into it and the tool would download all of them, extract and install them to the correct locations? All at once?

If such a tool existed, downloads would still count for modder's "points" and the curator would just need to keep the lists up to date.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I think there are several mod managers that hook up to Nexus. so they just automatically download updates. Problem is, you have to manually install the mods in the mod manager the first time. This is what I think Nexus is hoping to offer a solution for. Same as you can load up a "playlist" in an mp3 player (am I dating myself now? Anyone got any good winamp skins?) you can select a modlist that a user has made and curates on Nexus.