Adding new inventory item (Weapons, armor and etc)

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Uncanny_Valley

Adding new inventory item (Weapons, armor and etc)

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I don't believe this has been discussed, but I'm curios whether it is currently possible to add new inventor items to the game. Be it new weapons, armor pieces, random treasure and so on. And if not, how difficult would it be to implement?

Interkarma

Re: Adding new inventor item (Weapons, armor and etc)

Post by Interkarma »

Adding entirely new item categories that don't already exist in Daggerfall (e.g. crossbows, flintlock pistols) would be very difficult and require substantial code support.

Adding new sub categories to existing items (e.g. a new plate armour variant) would be easier but still require a fair bit of code support in core.

It's a hefty undertaking which is why I didn't build a more flexible item back-end. It was enough of a challenge just to create a system where items have parity with classic.

I'm sorry that's not much of an answer. Maybe this can be a stretch goal post 1.0.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm starting to add more facilities for adding new items. Clothing and armor will be the most complex, with weapons second, due to paperdoll etc. so they will come last.

Does anyone have any item graphics in vanilla DF style I could use for examples? Possibly even something I could use for the locator devices of the archaeologists mod instead of the wand icons.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

The Telescope Mod does add an item to the game, if that's what you mean. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3403

I figure it would be much more difficult to add something like a completely new tier of material or something like that. Did you have some idea in your mind about something?

Hazelnut

Re: Adding new inventory item (Weapons, armor and etc)

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah it does, and so does my Archaeologists guild mod. The telescope mod followed the same pattern which relies on there already being an item defined in DF, i.e. wand or telescope, and then add functionality with a custom class extension of DFUItem. I'm extending this to allow new items that don't have entries in DF data which is a bit more involved. Materials have nothing to do with the items themselves, so they're unchanged.

Hoping I can get some nice vanilla stype graphics to use for example. Using existing textures works now.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, how’s it looking for chainmail materials? Visually you can just dye the armor dfferent material colours. But I’m betting it’s more involved since it needs to work right with all kinds of inventory and combat code.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut, I can send you some more Inventory sprites to test if you want?