Enhanced Sky Upgrade Issues

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Interkarma

Enhanced Sky Upgrade Issues

Post by Interkarma »

I'm opening a thread here to see if this is something we as a community can resolve together. I will soon be upgrading the version of Unity used to build Daggerfall Unity, and unfortunately this breaks compatibility with the Enhanced Sky mod. I believe this would be a simple task of just rebuilding the Enhanced Sky mod in latest Unity version, but the creator (Lypyl) hasn't been around for some time, and did not make the source of this mod package available.

So here's the problem. Adding the Enhanced Sky mod works OK, but when you get into the game it just renders pink. This usually indicates a shader issue between build version and asset bundle (see above link).
enhanced-sky.jpg
enhanced-sky.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Looking at the output log, I can see the following errors.

Code: Select all

Failed to load GpuProgram from binary shader data in 'Standard (Specular setup)'.
Corrupt shader bytecode, couldn't decode 0 bytes
Failed to load GpuProgram from binary shader data in 'Standard (Specular setup)'.
D3D shader blob is empty!
From I've been able to discern, this is just down to a change in Standard shader sometime post 2017.1. I think if we had the Enhanced Sky source package, it would be trivial to fix.

But failing that, can someone think of a more ingenious method to fix this? I know it's possible to pull out individual assets from a compiled assetpackage, but not sure on feasibility of injecting the correct changes back into the mod file. Perhaps someone with more experience around this will be able to offer some help.

And failing that, is it possible to cleanly include a downlevel version of the Standard shader just to keep this mod happy at runtime? I'm open to most solutions here.

Cheers!

mikeprichard

Re: Enhanced Sky Upgrade Issues

Post by mikeprichard »

I really hope one of the smart gents/ladies around here can figure this out - this is a must-have mod for me and I think many others, and now that Lypyl's no longer around, it would be a shame to see it become obsolete.

Nystul

Re: Enhanced Sky Upgrade Issues

Post by Nystul »

see this post with a link to an updated version: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... =40#p14123