Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Post by King of Worms »

Ok I will regenerate the MOD with these settings and let u know.

Alpha is transparency, right? So I enable this ONLY on sprites.

Should I leave the "generate mipmaps" ON when I process the sprites for MOBs?

I can create a material. But to apply it to a texture there is written "To apply it to an object, just drag it from the Project View to any object in the Scene or Hierarchy." I dont have any objects in a scene nor hierarchy.

It looks like this here:
XX.jpg
XX.jpg (432.23 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

How to apply it to texture pls?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am Ok I will regenerate the MOD with these settings and let u know.

Alpha is transparency, right? So I enable this ONLY on sprites.
Yes. There might be also some UI images with transparency.
King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am Should I leave the "generate mipmaps" ON when I process the sprites for MOBs?
Yes, disable it only for UI images.
King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am I can create a material. But to apply it to a texture there is written "To apply it to an object, just drag it from the Project View to any object in the Scene or Hierarchy." I dont have any objects in a scene nor hierarchy.
There are two ways to apply a Texture to a property.
1.Drag it from the Project View on top of the Texture square
2.Click the Select button, and choose the texture from the drop-down list that appears

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

There are two ways to apply a Texture to a property.
1.Drag it from the Project View on top of the Texture square
2.Click the Select button, and choose the texture from the drop-down list that appears

Man, this is leading nowhere. I dont have those options there, nothing, Im done with this. Thanks a ton for copy paste. I dont have a whole year to do this. Is this supposed to be a joke. I doubt it. But you must know this is just ridiculous. Im fuckin done, thanks for trying.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

So this is a official statement, if anyone wants 4.0, than I will send you the whole package divided into the 7 sections and you create a DFMOD for us to enjoy. Otherwise, this will never happen as Im officially retiring from any further attempts to do so for the sake of my own and Lacus sanity.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I gave you a quote from the unity manual because is the most clear explanation i can think. If you want me to rephrase it i can say that textures can be dragged on material property or selected from the window popup that appears when you click on it. Not sure if it's better. Maybe you can watch a video on youtube with more calm if you ever change idea. But this is your decision, you've already spent a lot of time on this and everybody appreciate it. ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

With property, you mean the Material Ive created? Because that doesnt work, I cant take a texture and drag and drop it on a Material "ball" (I dont mean that ball at bottom right corner, but the icon if that ball, which is located at the same place as my textures, as you can see in the image Ive uploaded)

Should the new Material use the "Standard" shader or any other?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And btw, WHY IN HELL should I even do this, when all I want is my BASIC textures ingame, and they work just like that when I drop em in the streaming assets? Why suddenly, I need to mess with materials in FIRST PLACE? I dont want no albedo, no roughness, no nothing. Think of it in a bigger picture pls, this seems utterly unnecessary and makes you mod creator basically unusable for projects like this. Why it works without all this BS when I just drop them in the folder? Cant you create some noob version for ppl who dont want no advanced stuff like this and just want their textures ingame, which is basically what everyone will want to do? And if he wants advanced stuff, he will have no problem doing things you try to describe to me here anyway?

Also, this is called Community workshop. Right? So cant you please - as a creator of this mod builder - do a part of a community work and be so kind and help me with this part please? Im a freakin artist, I CANT do this shit. Thats a bottom line, I just cant, same as you cant do the shit I do. Thats called a specialization.

Honestly, how long it would take you to do this? 1 hour? Few hours? Ive spend one freakin week on this (3days now, 2 days before I left on holidays) and its depressing and all kinds of other things I cant even write here.

Cant we show some community effort to make the LAST PUSH to make this happen PLEASE?

It will also provide you a OPPORTUNITY to test your own utility on a biggest project by far todate. Isnt that something you should be very interrested in as well?
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I don't really know much about the technical issues you are discussing. But I think I will speak for most of the community if I say that the work both of you are doing is invaluable. You're both AWESOME. Misunderstandings between people with different backgrounds are common, I see many at work. But I'm sure no one has bad intentions or wants to give the other more work, so I'm sure you can solve it and keep creating great things for all of us. Please don't let a technical difference spoil the great work both are doing, as well as your own mood!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well all I want is this to be finalized, and I CANT do it alone - and believe me Ive tryed. Lacus is the mastermind behind this. So I see only one option and thats described in the long post above yours - basically, I call for a community effort in this community workshop, and as he is the one who can do that, and Im the one who can provide the assets, its OUR collaboration on a last push. Either this happens, or DFMOD package will never happen and thats a fact I cant change unfortunatelly. Thank you for a kind words tho. I agree there are no bad intentions and different backgrounds play its role here, artists and programmer... he can try to teach me things he founds trivial and it will never work, same as if I will try to tell him how to make the mouse moves to make the smudge tool look good. Thats why we should do what we good at and let the rest on ppl who are good at things we have no skills or interrest in = community workshop.

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

@King of Worms, can you leave a link to your last version of remaster? I will create DFMOD for you.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

That would be bomb! Let me finish up last few things and double check the whole package, than I will upload it to for ex MEGA and PM you a link. It will take few more days... Id give myself a deadline and say you will have it for the weekend for sure.

Be gentle pls :) Id like to have a high quality BC7 compression enabled if possible and if it makes sense. Basically, I want this to not be crippled by excessive compression and to have things set up so it looks as good as possible while not being excessive heavy on a memory. Some golden middle settings...

Also Ive noticed its possible to have a filter set on point. Does this mean that we can have for example terrain textures with trilinear (or anisotropic) while at the same time, the sprites will be "oldskool" point filter? + theres that problem with XML files I have attached to the compass to reduce its size, if you can take care of it? For me, it did not work when put into the DFMOD.

Thanks a ton for your offer!

EDIT: Now Ive noticed its you who made the compass mod! Can I use it in the pack? I use the compbox from Scroll and the compass from Classic, but with few changes in those XML files. I will add you to Credits ofc.