Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Post by King of Worms »

Found 2 more err msgs. 2nd one is for a texture 002_6-0.png but the same msg goes for every texture I tryed to include in the pack.

"Assets/Scripts/Game/MagicAndEffects/EntityEffectManager.cs(67,15): warning CS0414: The private field `DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager.combinedResistanceMods' is assigned but its value is never used"

"Unrecognized assets cannot be included in AssetBundles: "Assets/StreamingAssets/Textures/002_6-0.png".
UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildAssetBundles(String, AssetBundleBuild[], BuildAssetBundleOptions, BuildTarget)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:BuildMod() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:532)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:<OnGUI>m__5() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:343)
DaggerfallWorkshop.GUILayoutHelper:Horizontal(VoidDelegate) (at Assets/Scripts/Editor/GUILayoutHelper.cs:55)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:332)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

EDIT:
Video of what Im trying to do... sorry for noobiness

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

1. Move the files out of StreamingAssets. This folder is for real-time import, so they are not imported in editor. Place them somewhere like Game/Addons/MyMod/Textures or organize them like you want.
2. You have not installed support for mac and linux so you can only build for windows. You should find the option if you run again the installer.
King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:41 pm "you need to create materials for non-billboard textures" - is this needed for a dfmod to be built? I dont use any normal maps etc in my mod? We talking creation of 100s+ or even 1000s of files here ;)
Yes, this is important because it defines how the texture appears. Infact the same options can also be set with an xml from loose files, but working with materials is more comfortable because you have a live preview on the bottom of the inspector. If you give it a try i'm sure you will consider it an awesome feature ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks mate, I moved the textures to other folder and started to build a mod from it. But I guess the amount of textures is just too much for my PC to handle. When I add the files, the mod window gets so slow, like 1 frame in 20 seconds. And when it was building, it crashed :)

Also, my mod has more folders... I hoped I will be able to pack it all in one mod. But if I can just add the files, and not the folders, I dont know how to do that... besides the loose textures, there are CifRci and Img folders as well...

Im leaving for 3 weeks, I will try that when I get back to my PC. In the meantime, I uploaded the v3.0... its in a creators corner now. So... if you or anyone else have a mood for some DFMODding ( :lol: ) than please, download the files and try to make a DFmod from it. It will be appreciated (And even more so if you upload the package somewhere and place the link to the Daggerfall Remaster 3,0 thread.

Unfortunatelly, Im out of time for a while... so only solution I was able to come up with is this :oops:

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 pm Also, my mod has more folders... I hoped I will be able to pack it all in one mod. But if I can just add the files, and not the folders, I dont know how to do that... besides the loose textures, there are CifRci and Img folders as well...
This is not an issue, just select more files and add them. The mod builder generate a file with a list of assets so you can rebuild a mod without selecting everything again.

My suggestion is to make at least 3 bundles: materials, billboards, images. This is also the best option for mod users which can choose to install all of them or only the part(s) the're interested in. This is not the same as loose files where you can pick individual textures but is however a good balance between ease of use and customization.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Lacus, I made it work. Main problem was the bad location of my textures/sprites. Once I moved them to "game/addons/my mod/..." and there to their subfolders (packages) it works. Yay!!

I have few more questions still:

1st) Character portraits needed to be placed in a ".../streaming assets/CigRci" folder for them to be succesfully loaded to the game. How can I tell the mod creator to process them corectly? Because I guess if I place them in for example "game/addons/my mod/portraits" and than select them and Import Assets, than it will just not work corectly?

2nd) Similar problem with menu files - they needed to be in a "Img" subfolder to load into the game...

3rd) Is it normal that the total size gets reduced once packed into the DFMOD? Im getting quite some size reduction here.

Deffo agreed on separating into more packages. Right now I have 7:
- Textures
- Sprites
- Stational NPCs
- Moving NPCs
- Portraits
- HUD & Menu
- Load theme

Thank you!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Folders are only used for loose files disk organization. Mod assets are only seeked by name :)
King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm 3rd) Is it normal that the total size gets reduced once packed into the DFMOD? Im getting quite some size reduction here.
png is converted to another format, which can also be a lossy compressed one. You can set some quality and format options in the inspector; default values should really be fine, but you can try and see. Select multiple textures to change all of them.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for a fast reply!

"Mod assets are only seeked by name" - great, it indeed works. Ingame, in the mod menu, the Unity version is 0.5.411, is that ok?

I created all the packages but as usual, I encountered problems :lol:

1st, what works:

Load menu theme
Moving NPCs (enemies)
Stational NPCs

Conversation portraits - they work, but because of the problem described later, they are of no use. When I initialize conversation, I cant leave that window, end conversation does not work

Hud & Menu - works just partially - I can see a new compass, but the XML files which told my compass mod to be 50% of size stopped doing its thing and its a default size - inventory does not work at all. When I open it, its vanilla and empty, no player doll, no items, nada, and I cant close it afterwards)

The Textures pack does not work at all, I can only see the vanilla textures ingame.

No idea on what is going on, some parts work, some dont.

Game seems unhappy :? When I left one building, all I saw was a vanilla background, no objects, no textures...

I hope you can help somehow.

Thank you!!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm Hi, thanks for a fast reply!

"Mod assets are only seeked by name" - great, it indeed works. Ingame, in the mod menu, the Unity version is 0.5.411, is that ok?
This is the game version (for mod compatibility) which can be changed from mod builder but is also set automatically on first time. 0.5.411 is correct.
King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm Conversation portraits - they work, but because of the problem described later, they are of no use. When I initialize conversation, I cant leave that window, end conversation does not work
Hud & Menu - works just partially - I can see a new compass, but the XML files which told my compass mod to be 50% of size stopped doing its thing and its a default size - inventory does not work at all. When I open it, its vanilla and empty, no player doll, no items, nada, and I cant close it afterwards)
King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm Game seems unhappy :? When I left one building, all I saw was a vanilla background, no objects, no textures...
Probably some exception is being thrown, look in the log. Issue with xml may be unrelated, but first is best to solve this one.
King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm The Textures pack does not work at all, I can only see the vanilla textures ingame.
Yep, you need to make materials for them. Terrain is an exception because it uses its own shader and make a texturearray from individual textures. In short, you need to supply textures for UI, sprites and terrain, and materials for 3d models (buildings and props).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, so what I did so far is this:

Portraits, HUD & Menu, Load menu theme, Moving & Stational npcs = Ive set them in a inspector to "Sprite 2d & UI" and I used either no compression or high quality one for moving NPCs (That took whole night to process) - is this what you ment by "you need to supply textures for UI, sprites"

How to solve the issue with XML? There are 2 XML files, one for compbox, and one for compass. All they do is reduce the size

Now Im looking into the textures:

1st, what is considered a prop?
There is everything from terrain textures, building textures and objects (like graves if thats considered a object?) and normal maps for windows in the Textures folder. What I need to do here please? Should I set "normal map" for those windows normals? Rest I have no idea :/ Never used Unity.

I know this must be painful for you to read, but so it is painful for me to execute :oops:

EDIT: Im lost.. why the commoners in a cities dont get imported, when MOBs do? They have the exact same setting, and they are the same type of asset... This is gonna be tough :cry:

Can someone build this for me? I can send you the files separated into the packages. For person who knows what he is doing, this will be fast work. For me, not so much at all. Days, weeks, not ever?

Or I need much more detailed instructions. Half of the time, I have no idea on what Lacus is comunicating to me - my fault. But Im not here to learn whole Unity so I can release a bunch of BASIC textures. I can learn what is necessary, but I need to be pointed there specifically. When you tell me that "you need to make materials for them (textures)" than what is that even supposed to mean to a noob like me? Like, how can I know? No offense.

Or "you need to supply textures for UI, sprites and terrain, and materials for 3d models (buildings and props)." Yeah, right, Im on it :lol: Absolutely zero idea, and Ive read Unity manual on this topic, at least Ive tryed,

I need a "little bit more" of help here.

Thank you ;)
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

• Issue with inventory
    Run the game and open the inventory. If the issue appears, close the game and send me the game log (the one requested for bug reports).
  • Textures
    • Texture type: Editor GUI (ui images), Default (everything else, including sprites).
    • Alpha is Transparency: enable if there is an alpha layer
    • Town sprites: they are problematic due to the known bug, please ignore them until I (or someone else) is able to find the time and work on it.
  • Materials
    • Required for everything that is applied to a 3d mesh: buildings, graves, stones, furniture etc.
    • The first paragraph here explains how to create a material. The second paragraph explains how to assign a texture to a material (leave standard shader, just drag textures). You need to assign Albedo and, for windows, Emission.
    • (optional) Move sliders for Metallic and Smoothness until the preview looks fine to you.
    • When you build the mod, add only materials, not the textures you already assigned to materials.
For more informations: