Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Remaster w/future builds

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for offering to help quasifex. I think the most valuable thing we have going here is that we help each other. :)

I can understand KoW's frustration with creating materials and agree there's a disconnect between the simplicity of dropping a texture into StreamingAssets (from which Daggerfall Unity can automate material generation procedurally) and packaging materials in a Unity-native way as a .dfmod asset bundle.

Internally they all end up as materials anyway, it's just the pipeline of how those materials are generated: pre-generating the materials as a Unity asset bundle (faster to load, more flexible, but harder and more manual) vs. generating them from loose files (slower to load, less flexible, but easier and automated). As always, there's probably a middle ground in there somewhere.

TheLacus has done an incredible job with the modding system to date. I simply couldn't have done better. Without all of his hard work none of the mods we have today would be possible. This is a remarkable achievement for a fan-made game. Highly-funded commercial games often don't have near this level of mod support. And we're open source, so who knows where the mod system might be in a few years once things mature further.

I think because things became so flexible, so quickly, it's easy to lose sight of the fact there will be limitations, and there will be difficulties to overcome. All I ask is that if we hit problems and something isn't working - please keep calm and be awesome to each other. Describe the problem clearly and calmly, and odds are it will be fixed/improved eventually.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im sorry if I came across too harshly, these things can get over my head. At some point I lost it, my appologies :lol: But Ive tryed my best to 1st) make that DFMOD happen 2nd) not destroy my PC while Im at it 3rd) make it as civil as possible. I respect what Lacus did for DFU and he helped me tremendously during the year I was working on this project, he saved me many hours by patiently writing scripts I requested to automatize things like renaming 1000s of files, upscaling them etc... I stated its my fault that I cant follow the directions he gave me, so I want to be absolutely clear that I have no harsh feelings towards nobody here but contrary. It was a good idea to call it a quit, should have done it a few moments earlier tho...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Don't sweat it. This is passion project for all of us, so it's completely understandable we're going to act passionately about it every now and then! :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sometimes over-passionately in my case :oops: :D

Anyway, Ive made a final adjustments, packed it and now Im uploading the files to MEGA (will take a while with my connection)

Its good to draw a line and finalize what is done. This always helped me to clean up the work. Tomorrow Ill send a link to Quasifex to look at it. If everything goes well, I will receive the DFMOD some day, test it, upload it, and have a break. Because this project was taxing

I will also upload a link to a latest loose files as well, so incase someone wants to adjust it, or whatever, he can do so...

SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

Do you expect the RAM and VRAM requirements to be lower with the new version due to all the compression/etc. techniques used? If so, any estimate on how much of an impact it'll make? I've yet to try the pack since it's well out of my system specs (I've only got 2GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM), so I'm curious if the new version has any chance of being within that range.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats to be seen but 8gb ram will be enough as thats what I have. Than I have 3,5gb VRAM on GTX970 and game is quite playable.

I will test the difference between DFMOD and loose files approach and write the results to the MOD main page. Loading times will be faster, that was confirmed and makes sense. Memory usage - no idea yet.

But truth be told, its not only about the MOD but the engine as well. And there, the optimalization will come, but as usually in a SW development, I expect that to be one of the last things done. I think theres quite some room for memory management improvements. We are quite ahead of the schedule with this mod atm ;)

Wait a bit more for 4.0, its more polished, Im sending the files now to Quasifex.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

quasifex wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm @King of Worms, can you leave a link to your last version of remaster? I will create DFMOD for you.
Hi Quasifex, PM send ;)

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Hi, King of Worms. I've got your files and made a test dfmod build to check if i'm doing everything right. Also I tested additional maps, like, emmision maps, specular, normal and height maps. It just works ;)

However, I encountered a little problem. The Daggerfall Unity version I use to build dfmod is 0.5.411 and the last live build is 0.5.369. Because of that, mod won't work. The workaround I found is to make build from Unity editor. I hope there'll be a new live build soon, so that everyone could install mod without using Unity.

Also, about compass resize. I think game cannot read xml files from dfmod, but if replace it with C# script, it could work. This script should be fairly simple. Maybe Interkarma or Lacus could help with that.
Last edited by quasifex on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for feedback!

I was wondering about the additional maps, in case you feel like it, you can adjust those materials to your taste, I consider this mod open for any input (especcialy the good one tho) And as Ive written in the read me, if you can shot a short vid on how you do this, so I can reproduce it, without going thru manuals I cant understand anyway, it would be fine as well (but I will be not angry if you dont :) )

About the versions, I was told mod version 0.5.411 is all good, but I have absolutely no idea if it really is or not... that would need a Lacus input, but Im afraid to contact him after all this :lol: I know the "commoners" folder will not work because of the problems with compression etc... and it will be looked upon when they have some free time... But having it packed in DFMOD and ready cant hurt.

Yup, that C script should by absolutely trivial to these guys. Its just "make it 50% smaller" type of thing...

Lets hope they drop by and help a bit. Maybe try writing a PM to them, as they are quite busy... Lacus knows everything about the modding..

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

quasifex wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 pm However, I encountered a little problem. The Daggerfall Unity version I use to build dfmod is 0.5.411 and the last live build is 0.5.369. Because of that, mod won't work. The workaround I found is to make build from Unity editor. I hope there'll be a new live build soon, so that everyone could install mod without using Unity.

What's important is the Unity version. Are you sure you have installed 2018.1.2f1 and not another sub version of 2018?
quasifex wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 pmAlso, about compass resize. It think game cannot read xml files from dfmod, but if replace it with C# script, it could work. This script should be fairly simple. Maybe Interkarma or Lacus could help with that.
Xml files can be imported from mods. I'll try and see if there is some specific issue with the compass texture.

I'm happy to help with any difficulty :)