Daggerfall Modelling and Imaging 2 on Linux! (guide)

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
AlexViralata

Daggerfall Modelling and Imaging 2 on Linux! (guide)

Post by AlexViralata »

Greetings
I'm happy to report that both programs run under Linux using Wine. No problems what so ever!
It was a bit tricky to find the right way to install it, but thanks to my "big-headness" I managed to get it working.
dfutools.jpeg
dfutools.jpeg (353.66 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
So here's a quick guide to get it working:
win32 prefix, winetricks dotnet20+dotnet20sp2+xna31, wine msiexe /i *.msi, done!

Here's the long guide
0) Install both wine AND winetricks
1) You need a 32bit prefix for everything to work, so it's best to create a new prefix. On a console:
export WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/DFUapps
This will create a new directory on your home folder with the name DFUapps, you can name what ever you want, don't close the console until the end of this guide. By using "export" this prefix will be used for the rest of the session, until the console is close, or the PC is restarted/shut down.

2) Now, lets create the "bottle" and configure some settings if desire. Simply type and run: winecfg
There's no need to configure anything, but I recommend to add to the library "winemenubuilder.exe" and disable it (tab library), so no program gets added to our Linux menu. Also, don't use gallium nine! Close this Wine Configuration Tool.

3) Time for some tricks, on the same console, winetricks -q dotnet20
Once it's done, winetricks -q dotnet20sp2
Once that's done, winetricks -q xna31
Even though you can simply install xna31 and it SHOULD also install dotnet20 and dotnet20sp2, it didn't work for me, it crashed during the installation of dotnet20sp2. Launching it again did work, but then it wasn't so clean.

4) Time to install the app, browse with the console where either of the program is located and launch it with "wine msiexec /i "Daggerfall Modelling.msi" (or "Daggerfall Imaging 2.msi")
Proceed to install like a normal program.

5) Profit! Its done! browse to ~/DFUapps/Program Files/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Modelling/ or Daggerfall Imaging 2, and launch the app.

6) Optional, you can create a launcher with "WINEPREFIX=~/DFUapps wine ~/DFUapps/Program\ Files/Daggerfall\ Workshop/Daggerfall\ Modelling/DaggerfallModelling.exe"
And "WINEPREFIX=~/DFUapps wine ~/DFUapps/Program\ Files/Daggerfall\ Workshop/Daggerfall\DaggerfallImaging2.exe"

Things to remember: a 32bit prefix must be used. Gallium nine works but it has some issues. Don't simply install xna31 expecting to also install dotnet2.
I also recommend everyone to use a bottle manager, q4wine is the one I use, and it's awesome! Lots of options.
I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.
If needed (and wished for) I can make a batch file to automate everything.

Cheers

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Modelling and Imaging 2 on Linux! (guide)

Post by Interkarma »

This is awesome! Well done getting those two old tools running on Linux and even better writing a guide for it. :)

AlexViralata

Re: Daggerfall Modelling and Imaging 2 on Linux! (guide)

Post by AlexViralata »

Thanks!

I'm doing what I can to promote Linux ;)

Cheers!