Visible Player "Model" In First and Third Person Possible?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: Visible Player "Model" In First and Third Person Possible?

Post by King of Worms »

Well the 3rd person paperdoll can be visible using a spell interkarma implemented. Its called Vanity. U can see the paperdoll in the world from the front.
Something like a mirror.

Another thing I want to say is, that one day I was lurking in a dungeons, and a skeleton was behind me, and something cast spell from behind to the skeleton. The skeletons shadow was casted on the wall in front of me, and for the moment I thought its my own shadow. And omg, it struck me.

It would be absolutelly KICKASS if the generic Humanoid Enemy (the one which can use dagger/sword, cast spells and shoot arrows - so basically everything player can do) was invisibly rendered at the place where the player camera is located. It would only interact with light sources, so it would actually cast shadows, when you go around lights! Or when sun is behind you.. etc etc etc

And believe me, the low framerate animations of these sprites are absolutely not a problem! I saw it in that dungeon. CONTRARY, it makes u feel like you are the same kind of avatar as the creatures around you. It surreal. And its possible. And its insane. Please... PLEASE!!! It would be so much immersive

pango

Post by pango »

+1 for player shadow, I suspect it's the kind of detail you didn't know you needed until someone implements it :)

Even a static billboard in "cast shadows only" that follows player movements could probably have a striking effect at unexpected moments, say in towns at dusk or dawn...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

exactly, the moment I saw a shadow on a wall which I thought was mine, I realized it must be ingame :)
And the sur-real effect of the low FPS sprite based animation of that shadow was 10/10
Because it speaks its story in a sense. You are in a world of sprites with limited amount of animation windows.
And than you realize, you are the same... theres something to it. And its major :lol: