Tools used for 3D assets?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Samuel_Beard

Tools used for 3D assets?

Post by Samuel_Beard »

(Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure whether this belongs here but I don't know where else to post. I'm just looking for guidance, so don't kill me, please...)

Hello, I'm Samuel and I'm new here and I'd like to ask some basic questions to look into to help me work here some day. Little background first: I'm an aspiring future 3D modeler and programmer and would very much like to see Daggerfall become modded into 3D for people like me.

I see that there were people converting the game for 3D. The background assets such as shelves, tables and benches seems to be taken care of by someone so I guess I'll not be working on that? I was specifically enchanted by rhymer's work but he/she seems to not be so active on converting NPCs into 3D? More horrifying is the fact of reading him/her stopping his/her work on the characters so I was wondering if I could pick up on that area? I have Daggerfall Unity installed and I will be downloading the mods and all to see what's missing in terms of what I want to see in the game.

Now, I'd like to know what tools they were using or what tools this community uses for 3D primarily so I could look into it and start studying/working in the future. My conversion priority being what NPCs have made it into the latest Unity build. I'd like to know what software I should be looking to model, texture and rig to recreate NPCs in the style of this: http://pic.fullrest.ru/XTnbTiQz.gif -- In case this is the agreed style this community is going for in terms of 3D characters.

I'd also like to know where to look into these NPC rigs, this made me so excited https://forums.dfworkshop.net/download/file.php?id=722 -- and would like to see free model creation/rig software to make my work easier and more efficient.

I would also like an update on this community, if possible. I've visited here for about half a year or more before joining so I'd like to know an update on the attitudes of this community or even rhymer (I'll could just be messaging him). Primarily how 3D characters and monsters should be tackled. Are we going for the cartoony disney -like aesthetic or something more realistic but faithful for the Daggerfall look and feel? Also, can we use existing bodies like Roberts Bodies or existing ready made bodies/body proportions from some gameplay studio/asset store to make my work more efficient?

Thank you.

Samuel_Beard

Re: Tools used for 3D assets?

Post by Samuel_Beard »

Never mind? Should I be posting this for modder corner discussions?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi and welcome, Im sure someone more experienced with the topic will reply soon. There were some discussions about the style of the 3d npcs... general idea qas to keep it relatively low poly so it matches the rest of the game.. but honestly, its completely up to you. You decide what you like and go for it.

I guess ppl use blender for 3d.. but there are more options maybe. Maybe search for modding tutorials in the meantime. Someone will reply to you here :)

Samuel_Beard

Post by Samuel_Beard »

Already downloaded blender and found a good tutorial, where I morph a body based on body concept art from front and sideview. It's hard to explain but if you've ever seen those blender videos where they model assets out of pictures or blueprints loaded into blender, it's gonna be like that. I'm also going to want to provide First Person weapons and weapon animations and I'll be going to a tech workshop in my hometown where they teach me C# = good times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm Cool!

Here are some tutorials on the DFU modding, take a look

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... y/modding/
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=277
Also, concerning the modding system, The Lacus is the man. He helped me tremendously, so if you are stuck or need help, send him a PM with a link to this post and he will reply :)

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Blender is a great open source 3D modelling application:

www.blender.org

GIMP is a great open source 2D / texture painting application:

www.gimp.org