Spriter: Real-Time Sprite Imposter System

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
MasonFace

Re: Spriter: Real-Time Sprite Imposter System

Post by MasonFace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks! I've been meaning to get back on this project, but it will require that I get more familiar with DFTU and have some models available for testing. Kamer has been very generous in letting me use his Flesh Golem model (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1580&start=50#p22031) for testing, but I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet.

As for Theseus3000, I understand that he's been MIA for years and his models were never released.

SubPixel-Chris

Post by SubPixel-Chris » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

#want ( for more than DFU ) lmao this looks great.

HeadClot

Post by HeadClot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:28 am

Hey masonface,

I have a few questions for you -
1. Is Spriter compatible with the 2018 LTS releases?
2. How much or what would I need to do for an early copy of Spriter for a non-Daggerfall Unity project?
3. Are animation states supported in Spriter yet?

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 pm

1. Is Spriter compatible with the 2018 LTS releases?
Yes. Any version of Unity that supports render textures will work.
2. How much or what would I need to do for an early copy of Spriter for a non-Daggerfall Unity project?
All you need is patience and to be willing to provide testing feedback.

The thing I had been struggling with before I decided to take a break from the project is getting two objects next to each other without rendering into each other's render texture. I think I will write some sort of singleton manager script to control the render texture update so no two sprites update on the same frame. If you're willing to work within this constraint in the meantime, then I could have the alpha packaged and available within a few weeks as I get time.
3. Are animation states supported in Spriter yet?
Yes, but this is also a little buggy. Each frame, the camera that renders the 3D model is panning and zooming to capture the extents of the renderer's bounding box, this way it captures only as many pixels as it needs to draw the sprite, consumes less VRAM, and reduces overdraw.

I have found that in cases where the 3D model's bounding box doesn't accurately capture the extents of the model for each frame of the animation, the resulting sprite doesn't capture the whole model.

So yeah, basically it's still rough around the edges. If you're okay with these current flaws, then I can have a package ready hopefully within a few weeks. I still need to create some documentation on how to use it and I'd like to add a tool in the Unity editor to "Add Spriter Component" to make it easier, but I may not have all that ready. Just ping me later on (just PM me) if you haven't heard from me to remind me. All I ask from you is to provide feedback and to not redistribute the code.
Last edited by MasonFace on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeadClot

Post by HeadClot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:54 am

Check your PMs Masonface :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:30 pm

MasonFace, I'm working on support for providers of mobile npcs to replace classic billboards. I remembered about this topic and wanted to let you know. 😉
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.