[MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Alyndiar

Re: [MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Post by Alyndiar »

VMblast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm
Alyndiar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:26 pm I'm not finished, but I tried something with those icons and hue changes to replace the original icons. Here's what I have done for now...
Great work! :) keep it up. If what @pango says its true, than Icon atlas should be 1280x256 (64 per icon) or 1680x336 (84 per icon) ////tho it didnt work for me when I've put it game folder.
Thanks! I'll have to restart, since I was using the middle size of your icons which is 86x86. I think I'll restart at 128x128 and then downsize the atlas to ½ size once completed. It's not very long to build and I'm trying to replace one type of original icon with one type of new icon with recolors similar to the original colors.

Now, I'd like some opinions. Do you think it useful to follow the same icon distribution as original (like I just explained) or should I just make 6 variations of each of VMblast icons and not care about how the original icons were arranged?

Also, some questions :
  • @pango : Is the number of spell icons fixed to the number of original icons?
    Specifically, can the remaining blocks of the atlas be used? Or can an extra line of blocks be added?
  • @VMblast : How many icons do you plan to release?
I'll wait until I get the answers to start again.

BTW, @VMblast, do I need to say that these icons are awesome :D
I can't wait to use them in-game!!!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Alyndiar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm
VMblast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm
Alyndiar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:26 pm I'm not finished, but I tried something with those icons and hue changes to replace the original icons. Here's what I have done for now...
Great work! :) keep it up. If what @pango says its true, than Icon atlas should be 1280x256 (64 per icon) or 1680x336 (84 per icon) ////tho it didnt work for me when I've put it game folder.
Thanks! I'll have to restart, since I was using the middle size of your icons which is 86x86. I think I'll restart at 128x128 and then downsize the atlas to ½ size once completed. It's not very long to build and I'm trying to replace one type of original icon with one type of new icon with recolors similar to the original colors.

Now, I'd like some opinions. Do you think it useful to follow the same icon distribution as original (like I just explained) or should I just make 6 variations of each of VMblast icons and not care about how the original icons were arranged?

Also, some questions :
  • @pango : Is the number of spell icons fixed to the number of original icons?
    Specifically, can the remaining blocks of the atlas be used? Or can an extra line of blocks be added?
  • @VMblast : How many icons do you plan to release?
I'll wait until I get the answers to start again.

BTW, @VMblast, do I need to say that these icons are awesome :D
I can't wait to use them in-game!!!
I dont have exact number for now. Someone mentioned that there are 69 spell icons in the atlas, so I am aiming at that number. But thats not a promise, just a rough aim and wish. Ive done 20 so far so, we'll see. Ill just keep going as long as I can (I have some small window of free time atm). So my advice is you just keep doing atlas as many times as you can, because I just dont know when I will have to stop making these. :P

pango

Post by pango »

Alyndiar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm @pango : Is the number of spell icons fixed to the number of original icons?
Right now it's hardcoded to 69. I don't think it would be hard to change, however if a mod increases the number of spell icons and a player uses the extra ones, what happens if he removes/disables the mod? That's a situation that will need to be handled somehow...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 pm Right now it's hardcoded to 69. I don't think it would be hard to change, however if a mod increases the number of spell icons and a player uses the extra ones, what happens if he removes/disables the mod? That's a situation that will need to be handled somehow...
Easy answer is to pass the spell icon number through a modulus function before showing the icon. That way the icon number does not have to change in the player data and the player can activate/deactivate mods that change the number of spell icons without problems.

I looked at the code and though I'm not that familiar with c#, I think changing spellIconsCount from a constant to something that can be changed by a mod and doing something like this :

Code: Select all

/// <summary>
        /// Get spell icon texture from index.
        /// </summary>
        public Texture2D GetSpellIcon(int index)
        {
            if (index < 0)
                return null;

return spellIcons[(index % spellIcons.Count)];
        }
would do the job. The method for loading spell icons from atlas is already able to load as many lines as you want since the only thing stopping it is the spellIconsCount value.

So, I would propose that change. I've never worked with GIT or things like pull requests and all, and I also don't know how to setup an environment to build DFU on my own or I would try it myself. If you know someone who might help me with that, I'd be really thankful!

pango

Post by pango »

Alyndiar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 am Easy answer is to pass the spell icon number through a modulus function before showing the icon. That way the icon number does not have to change in the player data and the player can activate/deactivate mods that change the number of spell icons without problems.
Well, I thought of modulus, but nothing makes it a specially "good" answer, except maybe its simplicify; The good idea is to not persist transformed spell indexes unless necessary; So that if the player disables the mod, and only notices that later, he can reenable the mod and nothing is lost. Nice!
Alyndiar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 am So, I would propose that change. I've never worked with GIT or things like pull requests and all, and I also don't know how to setup an environment to build DFU on my own or I would try it myself. If you know someone who might help me with that, I'd be really thankful!
Git/GitHub is a topic in itself, they're tutorials for that (but I don't know if any is better than others, sorry).
About DFU building environment, where's the most up-to-date info? I remember a YT video, but that may be a bit outdated?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okv_NTSg2rw
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 16: Image Image Image

Abstract 17: Image Image Image

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Really nice, I hope your spare time lasts for a while :) and I like the color variations created by Alyndiar :!:

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@King of Worms
So do I. ;)

Abstract 18: Image Image Image

Abstract 19: Image Image Image

Abstract 20: Image Image Image

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 21: Image Image Image

Abstract 22: Image Image Image

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

pango wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 am Git/GitHub is a topic in itself, they're tutorials for that (but I don't know if any is better than others, sorry).
About DFU building environment, where's the most up-to-date info? I remember a YT video, but that may be a bit outdated?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okv_NTSg2rw
Thanks, that was enough. I was able to build on my side, so I'll check how my idea works later today. Now, I just need to understand how to change that 69 from hardcoded to something set by a mod, learn how to make mods and play with all this. It's been roughly 17 years since I did any programming. Got burned out by the company I was working for at the time. Maybe I'm ready to take the plunge again? :ugeek: