[MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
VMblast

Re: [MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Post by VMblast »

@pango
Awesome stuff! This will help a lot.

On the other note, guys, should I change style for the icons or this is fine and fitting the DFU?

pango

Post by pango »

Okay, a better fix is on its way!
Icons size will probably have to be a multiple of 4 pixels, so 86 was not a good idea but that's easy to correct ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ive been experimenting with more abstract iconography which would be an par with the original DF ones. I think Ill keep going with this. :P

Image Image Image

pango

Post by pango »

Personally at first I had in mind abstract icons too, even if I'm open to any style: I don't really have an opinion beforehand, I need to experiment with stuff for a while to get the feeling of it.

Pros for abstract icons:
- if they're simple enough, they can become very recognizable;
- something I found out recently: it does not distract you from the main 'reality" of the game. Maybe that's just my own weirdness, or maybe I need more time to get used to new icons, but when my gaze go from the main 3d view to icons, I'm also mentally switching to the story "told" in the icon. With abstract icons, I find it easier to tell the stories apart.

Cons for abstract icons:
- pretty much the reproach I have against the classic icons, it may be hard to link them to a specific idea, so you take more time learning arbitrary relationships.

About the best way to draw a full set of icons, maybe you should start with a sketch of all icons, so you can better balance the whole set (make the whole consistent yet make each icon recognizable compared to others, etc.)? But maybe you're already doing this
Last edited by pango on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 02:

Image Image Image

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

These decissions about abstract vs more specific icons are very hard to make. I have no solid opinion on that, cant help, sorry.

I like all the icons you presented so far. I think as you continue the work, you will come to a conclusions of your own with more experience on that matter. Thanks for the efforts you put into this. Its very needed, old style icons are quite distractive in this new HD style of Daggerfall now. It worked in 320x200 CRT era, not now.

Plus we will need a option to scale them to 50% size in a future, they are way too big on our 24"+ monitors ;)

Good luck, Im glad you back modding!

Jukic

Post by Jukic »

@VM: make them in the style you feel fit - the abstract way. Your work is wonderful.

Regarding exact icons a more involved mod would be in order where one-effect one specific icon would be realised.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Thanks for the inputs guys, much appreciated. Ill just continue with the trip :)

Abstract 03: Image Image Image

Abstract 04: Image Image Image

PS - yeah maybe 86x86 cant be devided by 4 and maybe its too big on the actual screen, but Ill just stick to it for now, as with other two size variations. ;)

pango

Post by pango »

Well I picked the 86 pixels one for my test because that's roughly the size of icons in game on my 1080p...
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@pango
Yep, thats how I deducted as well ;)

Abstract 5: Image Image Image

Abstract 6: Image Image Image