[MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Alyndiar

Re: [MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons

Post by Alyndiar »

@VMblast : Could you make the middle icon size 84x84 instead of 86x86? As it is, we already know we won't be able to use 86x86 icons and I think the middle size would probably be the most appropriate in-game. Or are you only creating the 128x128 and then resizing down? If so, what kind of filter are you using for resizing and what parameters, if any, are applied?

Other than that, I'll restart building the atlas. Some of the icons, like wizard's hat, boots, blood drop and wings are not very appropriate for recoloring. For those, I'll leave a single icon, as provided. For the other icons, I'll probably do 6-8 colors each, including original. I'm thinking Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Aqua, Blue, Purple and White (or grayscale). Given the opportunity to improve on Daggerfall, I'll forget about the original order of the icons and just put each new icon followed with its recolors and see where I get.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Alyndiar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm @VMblast : Could you make the middle icon size 84x84 instead of 86x86? As it is, we already know we won't be able to use 86x86 icons and I think the middle size would probably be the most appropriate in-game. Or are you only creating the 128x128 and then resizing down? If so, what kind of filter are you using for resizing and what parameters, if any, are applied?
I will do from now on 84x84, however the ones Ive done so far Ill rescale when I finish this work (aka quota). You do what you like for now. For the rescaling Im using original 814x814. To 128 and 86 I was using just standard bicubic filter for softer look and than applied sharpen effect. However, for the 64 scale I was using reduction filter for more precise and sharpen look.

Im mixing just strait "atmospheric" effect with more specific buff effect (like feather for example -can be used for slow fall -or wings for levitate).

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 23: Image Image Image

Abstract 24: Image Image Image

Daichi

Post by Daichi »

You're really doing a crazy and colossal job !
I'm French !! INCREDIBEULE ! And I'm not good in English xD

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

VMblast wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 pm ... For the rescaling Im using original 814x814...
OK, that explains the quality of the icons :shock:

Keep going, all of these look great :)

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

@pango : Could a mod change the icons for the default spells too? Once the atlas is done, I'd be willing to select new icons for each premade spells in the game.

I also wonder how hard it would be to assign an icon to each type of effect so that when creating a new spell, the first effect added would bring its own icon for the spell being created, unless another icon has already been selected. Maybe at some point add a way to select an effect of the spell and grab the related icon to apply as the spell icon. I don't know for sure, I just feel selecting an icon for each spell has always been one of the akward parts in Daggerfall spell creation.

I know this is above and beyond the current scope of DFU, but there's just so much that can be done to improve the look and feel of this game :mrgreen:

pango

Post by pango »

Alyndiar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm @pango : Could a mod change the icons for the default spells too? Once the atlas is done, I'd be willing to select new icons for each premade spells in the game.
It seems the dictionary of classic spells is built by EntityEffectBroker.RebuildClassicSpellsDict from SPELLS.STD.
I don't know modding capabilities very well, but I assume a mod could overload that method, or some mechanism be added so that mods could apply a transformation to spells dictionary around that point? Or read the spellbook definition from an alternate source provided by the mod...
Really I didn't check modding best practices, I don't even think I can compile a mod on Linux (Many features of Daggerfall Tools do not seem to work right with the alpha of Unity Editor)...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 25: Image Image Image

Abstract 26: Image Image Image

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Abstract 27: Image Image Image

Abstract 28: Image Image Image

VMblast