[MOD] Daggerfall World Map

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall Map Recreation

Post by King of Worms »

Added few lakes and compass from VMblasts map plus few minor corrections.
This is cca as far as I can take this map... maybe few small tweaks more
I think next step is testin g all the maps ingame
Spoiler!
01c - KoW - TRAV0I00.IMG.jpg
01c - KoW - TRAV0I00.IMG.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5833 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm, so this is the UESP climate map. Its stated that ".the game is quite geographically diverse, encompassing 9 climate regions.."

And indeed I can see 9 colors. But from my texturing days I know there are basicaly 4 climates (usually with winter/summer variants) according to archive names.

This is a bit confusing.

Basically what I need to know is, where exactly is the Jungle, Mountains, Desert and Highlands. Thats it :D

Can someone write it into the map? Or just explain it to me? Thanks!
800px-DF-map-Iliac_Bay_Climate.png
800px-DF-map-Iliac_Bay_Climate.png (68.07 KiB) Viewed 5795 times

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Stumps FTW! :D I just found out today that Krita has really nice brush/stumps profiling and setup. As a old fashion artist I totally forgot about these digital age tools (It would took me forever to paint in all the details in old fashion way) :P ....Well ok, it is a bit repetitive but at least now it looks similar to the original. ;)

PS - I still want to add that little ship and monster. It's still not a final version.
Spoiler!
Last edited by VMblast on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats very nice mate. Id only change that biggest island... it should be mountain, even according to that colored map Ive posted.
PS: You should use those stone borders by MasonFace, I quickly tryed it on your map and it fits very well
Last edited by King of Worms on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@King of Worms
Will do, thanks for the info. No, on the mountains. I want to keep it in the style. ;)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ok, I guess its finished now. :)

Version 1920x1200:
Spoiler!
Full HD version:
https://i.imgur.com/SLcIgJP.jpg

PS - tho I dont know where to put this image in DFU? I tried to put it in /Streaming Assets/Textures/Img (with a proper name tag), but nothing happened.
Last edited by VMblast on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its beautiful. One thing. The lakes in mountains.. 1st - they are not on the original map but thats np if they really exist there. But some of them dont fit as they are partially located at the mountain slopes.

I found nice trick. If u have the lakes as a separate layer, set outer glow for them. It creates a effect which looks a bit like a sand shores and it blends the lakes in its surroundings much better. Works esp good at forrests and those swamps..

I have not yet tryed importing maps ingame so I cant help atm, sorry.

One LAST thing :)

On the colored map of regions Ive posted, there are 2 regions in brown color. What are they? Might be really great to have them slightly differentiated in your map as well.

Im so obsessed with these details on your map, because it shapes up to be the best version of all..

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Yeah, I think this is the best so far. Well done, VMBlast! Looks great!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Lakes tweaked. ;) Im locking this map for now. I think this is tops what I (and we) can pull out from the original map. Remember, the original map is stylized representation of ES world maps (if my approach were realistic, I would created DF map looking like Google Maps Satellite view :P ). Also I dont have any clue what are those -brown- regions suppose to be. I thought those were just some clouds formations on the original map, so I just dismissed them on my recreation.

FINAL VERSION
//----------------------
1920x1200:

3072:
https://i.imgur.com/IDvlSIK.jpg

pango

Post by pango »

I really like the details of the full res version, it's an invite to exploration...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart