Custom conversations with NPCs?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
haloterm

Custom conversations with NPCs?

Post by haloterm »

Is it possible to add conversation topics to the NPCs?

I have some ideas for a custom quest, but it would require to talk with people to gather information (and also read custom books, but that is another topic in the other thread).

As far as I understand the existing quests, one can only use message boxes (like "somebody hands you a sheet of paper") and "yes/no" dialogues -- or are Morrowind-like dialogues possible, too?

Jay_H

Re: Custom conversations with NPCs?

Post by Jay_H »

In Daggerfall's current form, back-and-forth dialogues with NPCs aren't possible other than asking for directions and rumors :( The yes/no prompts you mention are the other form of dialogue but that's more that the NPC lectures you; it's quite circuitous for a method of discussion.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hmhm, I see. Is it possible to add custom rumors?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, absolutely. Each quest has a rumor section for During Quest, After Quest Failure, and After Quest Success. After-quest rumors last about 30 days I think (Allofich just recently implemented this and I haven't heard much about the duration), and During Quest will last until the quest expires.

Theoretically you could add a passive quest that never expires, and you just stuff it full of rumors to add more variety to the world :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 pm Yes, absolutely. Each quest has a rumor section for During Quest, After Quest Failure, and After Quest Success. After-quest rumors last about 30 days I think (Allofich just recently implemented this and I haven't heard much about the duration), and During Quest will last until the quest expires.

Theoretically you could add a passive quest that never expires, and you just stuff it full of rumors to add more variety to the world :D
Hmm... You could have the quest launch other quests!

Megaquests! :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Perpetual quests! :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:23 am Perpetual quests! :D
Perpetual megaquests launching and ending other quests! :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 pm Yes, absolutely. Each quest has a rumor section for During Quest, After Quest Failure, and After Quest Success. After-quest rumors last about 30 days I think (Allofich just recently implemented this and I haven't heard much about the duration), and During Quest will last until the quest expires.

Well it was me who implemented this feature originally. Allofich matched rumor generation and times to vanilla recently.

There are more ways to add rumors and dialog options btw - these are the different ways
  • as already mentioned via RumorsDuringQuest, RumorsPostfailure, RumorsPostsuccess -> this adds rumors to the rumor mill ("any news")
  • via anyInfo and rumors -> this adds topics (name of location, persons or item) and corresponding answers ("anyInfo" == educated/true ones (thieves guild spymaster only gives those) and "rumors" == just rumors - may be true or false (not given by spymaster)) - these can be hidden with "dialog link" command if I remember correctly to reveal them later when pc learns about the topic in other anyinfo ansers or rumors
  • rumor mill command adds rumors to rumor mill ("any news")
  • quest locations and npcs get added to the "Where Is" list (if they are not hidden via "dialog link" command (before pc learned about them by talking about a "dialog linked" topic))
implementation aimed to match classic implementation. even many vanilla quests do not use the options correctly. a few good examples exist though (e.g. mage's guild quest for non-members with the missing book)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, sorry about that Nystul. I only remember Allofich's recent tune-ups and I incorrectly made that assumption.