DagSkill Mod Remake?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Tommybobby

DagSkill Mod Remake?

Post by Tommybobby »

Does anybody here remember the DagSkill mod for Daggerfall? It came with the setup version of Daggerfall found on the wiki page. I suspect that many players who first played when Daggerfall became free have used this mod.

For those unfamiliar with this mod it removes the level cap on your skills and attributes.
I was wondering if anyone is planing on remaking this mod for Daggerfall unity. :D :D :D

I would love to see this in Unity! Please let me know your thoughts on it.
If you do plan on making this mod I have two notes for you.

1. Being able to set your level cap would be AMAZING for this mod as you can over level very easily.

2. In Daggerfall for some reason if a guild checks your guild related skills and one is over 200% the game will crash. (not a problem for Hand-to-Hand as no guild checks this) A fix for this would be awesome.

I loved this mod before but with these two changes it would be PERFECT! :) :) :)

Would this be an easy mod to make?

Thanks for reading! This is my first post so I'm sorry if its not in the right format.
I look forward to hearing more about this.

Interkarma

Re: DagSkill Mod Remake?

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

You're not the first person to ask about Dagskills. I recently merged code to allow overriding attribute cap in next round of builds. The modder just needs to override "MaxStatValue" formula in their mod and return the new cap value. To simulate Dagskills, this would return 200. And it would also be possible to return a lower attribute cap to give player more of a challenge.

I can't say if DFU would crash with attributes higher than 200 as I've never tried it. Although something would probably break somewhere along the line with attributes high or low enough.

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:38 am I can't say if DFU would crash with attributes higher than 200 as I've never tried it. Although something would probably break somewhere along the line with attributes high or low enough.
The only issue I remember people reporting about DagSkills is that, with a mercantile skill high enough, negative prices started to show up. So maybe that specific formula should be scrutinized for skills > 100.

An idea suggested by Zaric during a stream would be for skills to go higher than 100 so you could keep leveling up, but effective skills be capped at 100 in formulas so your character does no get superhuman capabilities.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Tommybobby

Post by Tommybobby »

Excited to here I'm not the first to ask about Dagskills and to get a reply from Interkarma himself no less, much appreciated. :D :D :D

I noticed that Dagskills is describe in many places as raising the cap to 200 although I have witnessed that it actually removes the cap all together (as far as I can tell). I have had characters who skills went passed 300% and even had one with over 300 strength one time. :o

I have never witnessed any crashes caused by high attributes only crashes when skills above 200% are checked by a guild. The same thing happens in unity. I have tested this using a Daggerfall save editor and it seems to check out.

I did play around with attributes all at 10 one time and for some reason this made me level up every time a skill increased, even misc skills. although I think all of my skills were also at 10 so that could have something to do with it. Can't remember if I tested this in unity but I may have.

Anyway I'm glad to here you are already doing work that will help with this mod.
Would it be possible to remove the cap on skills altogether or set it to something super high and unreachable? Also when it comes to the players level, would putting a set cap on that be an easy thing to do?

When it comes to the guild skill check I'm really not sure why skill values higher than 200% always cause a crash but do you think there is a workaround to this?

In response to pango (sorry if this is getting lengthy) I have also heard of this issue with mercantile although have never experienced it myself. If we could set individual skill caps for each skill that could be a possible fix and also a really cool feature. I my self have no interest in getting to really high levels just in having really high skills which is why I'm interested in a player level cap option, in particular I would love to make a character with incredibly high Hand-to-hand so that I could one shot my foes. It would be nice to be able to cap things like running and jumping at 100 but still be able to push Hand-to-hand in to the thousands (my current record was around %400 last time I checked)

Thoughts on this are greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing them.
Thanks for putting in so much time to remake this awesome game.
You guys rock! :D :D :D

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I am the original DagSkills author, glad to see this little DF tweaking tool is still used alsmost 20 years later :)

In classic, from what I remember of my DF hacking days back then, skill cap value is stored in a single byte, even if skills themselves are stored in a word (2 bytes). So I could have set the cap value at 255, but I thought 200 was a better value.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Is there a skill cap for magic? It seems like a good idea to allow both stats and skills to become superhuman when magic is involved. The same would go for supernatural diseases like vampirism and lycanthropy. For normal skill/stat gains perhaps it would be best if they decayed at some rate. Let's say one point every 360 days for every point over 100. This would mean that at 150 points you would lose about a point a week. The loss would slow down as your points over became lower.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Is there a place where all the game formulas based on attributes and skills can be found?

I am trying to consider some changes to the skill/attribute system, but I would like to work out the proposal in such a way as not to break any other thing. A way to find ALL the formulas concerned would be most helpful.
I've found FormulaHelper.cs, but that one only contains some most basic formulas. I'm afraid that the remaining formulas are most probably scattered throughout the script files. Hope somebody can help with this.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.