Help needed: Clothing does not get changed

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
TheHourMan

Help needed: Clothing does not get changed

Post by TheHourMan »

When I replace a clothing texture in StreamingAssets, it only changes the thumbnail in my inventory in-game and not the actual texture of the clothing piece on my paperdoll. Can someone give me any help with this? If it can't be helped, I would be happy with at least an explanation as to why.
Discord (adults only:) discord.gg/nehjDHW

TheHourMan

Re: Help needed: Clothing does not get changed

Post by TheHourMan »

Discord (adults only:) discord.gg/nehjDHW

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi mate, unfortunatelly, the modded clothing on the paperdoll is not yet supported.
Ive seen Interkarma making some progress in that department. And Im quite sure, it will be a thing in the not so distant future... because as we progress, everything becomes possible to mod. And this is basically the LAST thing we cant mod, since the Travel Map system has been opened recently.

But as it is now, only the clothing (and armor/weapons..everything) which is in the inventory is being able to be seen in its modded high res state.

Maybe direct this question to The Lacus or Interkarma, they will know more.

Im glad to see you joining our modding and gaming community.

Welcome! ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've started overhauling how the paper doll works to support modded body, head, and item images. There are two main challenges to this.

The first part is rendering. My old paper doll system works just like classic in that it simply blits images into a fixed pixel buffer. I've since switched to using a render target onto which properly scaled custom images can be drawn. This is generally working well, but I'm not ready yet to enable it in live builds.

The second part is that paper doll images require special positioning, ordering, and masking data to display correctly. It's possible for modded images to use the vanilla order and (scaled) position information directly, but it will need to provide custom mask data to perfectly mask out hair around helmets, etc. It would also be ideal for modders to be able to provide new data via XML to also fix any issues with alignment and order present in base game data.

It is this requirement for secondary data that makes paper doll mods more challenging than similar texture replacements. Once the rendering side of things is working to my satisfaction, TheLacus should be able to leverage existing mod framework features around texture replacement and XML data to enable modding paper dolls.