Guild Quest List Menu

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Firebrand

Re: Guild Quest List Menu

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Firebrand wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:48 pm I've almost completed the list from UESP. From that, you can improve the names as you prefer :)
Wait, what? Where are you putting them? I've not given instructions yet... :shock:
For now, in a .csv file :lol:
you can access it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xvkhd2grjbj1 ... e.csv?dl=0

I've made a list with three fields:
  • Faction
  • Quest Name
  • Quest ID
from there, you can integrate it in the more appropriate manner in DFU :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Okay so you have created a different cut and paste task for me to do... well at least they're all in one place, I suppose that's a bit easier.

(allow me to hope that once I provide instructions that you will be prepared to make the edits and submit a PR to DFU codebase for me)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:29 pm Okay so you have created a different cut and paste task for me to do... well at least they're all in one place, I suppose that's a bit easier.

(allow me to hope that once I provide instructions that you will be prepared to make the edits and submit a PR to DFU codebase for me)
Sure, I'm not afraid of some others copy and paste :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

My first suggestion was to put a challenge rating next to each quest but since there are so many different ways to build plus items effect things maybe a note on required material would be a possible route. One of the things that I like/aggravates me about Daggerfall is it will place you in places and position with enemies you are very unlikely to "defeat" but it has enough options to allow you to get around things. It is still a drag to be trying to do a quest and be chased around by harpies while trying to find an item or a person when you are at lower levels.

Another adjustment I would like to see is a adjusted reward scheme, it doesn't really make sense that going to a house to kill 3 or 4 rats/bats gave you the same amount of faction reputation as spending days in a dangerous dark dungeon.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Okay Firebrand, I've got the code working now and proved that it can work as a mod. (if I didn't write the guild service code myself I would have been quite scathing.. :oops: is really not so mod friendly)

If Interkarma decides he wants it in core codebase that will make it a load easier, but I suspect he wont. Either way the quest names are going to be required.

So here's what I need you to do:

For each guild quest (I'm assuming you know how to identify these), open the .txt file and add a line after the one with "Quest: name" that says "DisplayName: display name". For example, this is the edit of NOC00Y10.txt that I was using to test:

Code: Select all

Quest: N0C00Y10
DisplayName: Test Quest Naming!
--Message panels
The quests are located in Assets/StreamingAssets/Quests/ and you can either fork the repo and submit a PR yourself, or if you're not Git-familiar just do the files and zip them up and attach here and I will do the rest.

Feel free to do a couple and check you have them right before doing the rest if you're unsure.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:29 pmIf Interkarma decides he wants it in core codebase that will make it a load easier, but I suspect he wont. Either way the quest names are going to be required.
Pango's listview for the travelmap got in, and it was fun to see youtubers like Lady Lilia excited about it. This seems similar, a selection box vs throwing random picks at player. Lady Lilia looked puzzled at the value of dungeon climate sliders and vitals bar toggle. I feel like that stuff should be in the ini, and click reducer stuff like this should be easily in.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'll progress with this once the guild quest scripts all have display names. Interkarma said he's not against having it as a setting in core, so either route is an option. If anyone has a strong opinion either way please say. (no repeats for those who have already done so, thanks)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:29 pm Okay Firebrand, I've got the code working now and proved that it can work as a mod. (if I didn't write the guild service code myself I would have been quite scathing.. :oops: is really not so mod friendly)

If Interkarma decides he wants it in core codebase that will make it a load easier, but I suspect he wont. Either way the quest names are going to be required.

So here's what I need you to do:

For each guild quest (I'm assuming you know how to identify these), open the .txt file and add a line after the one with "Quest: name" that says "DisplayName: display name". For example, this is the edit of NOC00Y10.txt that I was using to test:

Code: Select all

Quest: N0C00Y10
DisplayName: Test Quest Naming!
--Message panels
The quests are located in Assets/StreamingAssets/Quests/ and you can either fork the repo and submit a PR yourself, or if you're not Git-familiar just do the files and zip them up and attach here and I will do the rest.

Feel free to do a couple and check you have them right before doing the rest if you're unsure.
Done! :)

Since I'm not familiar with GitHub a just made a .zip with the .txt files for the 121 quests marked by UESP as Factions Quests.

Note: a small part of this set, like Lord K'avar Quest Part II (S0000500) and Lord K'avar Quest Part III (S0000501) are not given directly by the guild, but are nonetheless followup of quests given by them.

And, of course, I'd like to see this functionality as a setting in core DFU ;)
Attachments
Quests with DisplayName.zip
(251.36 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm Done! :)

Since I'm not familiar with GitHub a just made a .zip with the .txt files for the 121 quests marked by UESP as Factions Quests.

Note: a small part of this set, like Lord K'avar Quest Part II (S0000500) and Lord K'avar Quest Part III (S0000501) are not given directly by the guild, but are nonetheless followup of quests given by them.

And, of course, I'd like to see this functionality as a setting in core DFU ;)
Cool, thank you. It's nice to get some assistance, and be able to focus on the programming. :) Okay then, I'll add this as a core option unless I stumble across any unforeseen issues. Try and get it in before this weekends builds as well.

Those lord K'avar quests are part of the main quests and should already have display names... or that's what I'd expect anyway. Pretty sure they're never going to be used in guild quest pools.. but i could be wrong. Thing is, I'm still trying to avoid main quest spoilers since I want to actually play the game once DFU is ready. (I know that sounds daft, but there you go - means whenever talk of main quest rolls around I vanish)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Where did you get your quest files from? They're different from master and thus contain other changes - or more accurately they don't contain Jay's fixes that were merged 3 weeks ago!

Looks like you're either running a pre-alpha build or your alpha is messed up somehow. May be worth figuring out what's going on here.

I probably should have stipulated that you download/clone the master repo and used the files direct from there. My bad. :oops:

Anyway, I can simply disable those changes in the GitHub destop app before I commit - it's really useful for that kinda stuff, even if I have to use cmd line a lot more than the authors should be happy with.